Over seeding ? [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Over seeding ?

JRC IOWA
03-23-2010, 12:32 AM
I have always doubted over seeding?

I know the best time is in the fall,but i never have the time then.

I did start the process last year.Spring of 09 i put down a crab grass killer + fertilizer.Than through out the year i sprayed to kill all weeds i could see.

Spring 2010 so far i have dethatched and yard sweeped .
Next i plan to plug aerate.Then seed and put down fertillzer.

I was just thinking would it help or hurt to dethatch again after i seeded and put down fert ?

THANKS

John@Reliable
03-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Once you seed keep the dethatcher away for as long as possible. The grass roots take time to "bond" and the above will rip some/most out. Everything else you said looks good, you may want to look at a slice seeder, which you can rent by the day,they work good :goodl: John

Phoenix125
03-23-2010, 10:06 AM
I am a newbie to lawn care, but this is what I did/am doing/plan to do (I am on day 5):

Day 1: Dethatch (took me a whole afternoon)
Day 2: Aerate, spread grass seed, spread starter fertilizer, lightly dethatch again (to effectively "rake" the seed/fertilizer into the ground), use a lawn roller to pack the seed into the ground, then water.
Day 3 - 17: Water 3-4 x/ day (I have very sandy soil: water sinks right in)
Day 18 - 2nd grass cutting: water 2 x / day

It's only been 5 days, so I have no idea what my results will be.

Bart
03-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Unless you have very large bare areas overseeding is not necessary. Fertilizer and plenty of water will get the grass growing and it will thicken and fill in the thin areas. If you need to seed some thin areas spread your seed then go over with an aerator and that will help get the seed into crevices where it can grow.

JRC IOWA
03-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Once you seed keep the dethatcher away for as long as possible. John

I was going to dethatch right after i seeded and fert.Just like Phoenix125

PA PLOW DAY
03-23-2010, 10:33 PM
if you dethatch right after it will help get the seed incorporate into the dirt. if you are using a spring tine type. If you are using a plug aerator , or even a spike type will work, first aerate, then seed then aerate again, gets the seed worked down into the soil. It seems aggressive, but the better seed to soil contact you have the better you will be. I have a spiker seeder combo, its not as nice as a slit seeder, or powered overseeder, but it gets the seed into the ground, initially the seed grows up in the rows from the spiker, but with a little time the rest germinates.

If you dont have a huge yard, topdressing after you seed will help too, a thin layer of compost after you seed will be good, no more than 1/4 inch.

JRC IOWA
03-24-2010, 01:25 AM
if you dethatch right after it will help get the seed incorporate into the dirt. if you are using a spring tine type. If you are using a plug aerator , or even a spike type will work, first aerate, then seed then aerate again, gets the seed worked down into the soil. It seems aggressive, but the better seed to soil contact you have the better you will be. I have a spiker seeder combo, its not as nice as a slit seeder, or powered overseeder, but it gets the seed into the ground, initially the seed grows up in the rows from the spiker, but with a little time the rest germinates.

If you dont have a huge yard, topdressing after you seed will help too, a thin layer of compost after you seed will be good, no more than 1/4 inch.

So far i have dethatched,yard sweeper,today plug aerated.Tomorrow i would like to seed and fert.
I am a little confused with you answer should i reaerate or dethatch?I am doing about 2 acres so watering is not going to happen.I am hoping for the powers of above for that.
Thank You

Phoenix125
03-24-2010, 01:48 AM
If you dont have a huge yard, topdressing after you seed will help too, a thin layer of compost after you seed will be good, no more than 1/4 inch.Don't laugh, but I purchased (22) 40 lb bags of top soil and (5) 40 lb bags of manure compost from Menards for $32 total, effectively giving me 1 yard of topsoil. I spread it over my front yard (only about 1000 sq. feet). Now, when I water my lawn, I only have to water that area 2x / day. It appears that the topdressing is helping a lot.

If I see significant improvement in the topdressed areas, I will buy 10 yards or so of dirt and work it in the rest of my yard. That's only (270) 40 lb bags of dirt :) just kidd'n: I'll have it trucked in.

Shack
03-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Don't laugh, but I purchased (22) 40 lb bags of top soil and (5) 40 lb bags of manure compost from Menards for $32 total, effectively giving me 1 yard of topsoil. I spread it over my front yard (only about 1000 sq. feet). Now, when I water my lawn, I only have to water that area 2x / day. It appears that the topdressing is helping a lot.

If I see significant improvement in the topdressed areas, I will buy 10 yards or so of dirt and work it in the rest of my yard. That's only (270) 40 lb bags of dirt :) just kidd'n: I'll have it trucked in.

I dont want to sound nit picky, but a 40 lb bag of dirt is 2 cubic feet. there are 27 cubic feet in a yard. 22x2=44 plus the 5 bags manure is 54 cubic feet, or 2 yards.

motobike
03-24-2010, 09:57 AM
It took me a while to believe in overseeding; but I have had great success.

Let me explain; I use the frost plant procedure. In my area it works great.

In the early Spring, after the snow is gone, actually right now when there still is a chance of frost in the weather. You go out in the morning (the best approach) early while the soil is still heaved up with the frost; then sow your seed (broadcast approach). It doesn't take much frost; but there must be some heaving of the soil for this to work.

You have sown the seed on the raised soil; now when the sun comes out and warms the soil, which causes the soil to settle down, your seed will be at the proper depth for good growth. It will heave again if it gets cold enough and that will give a chance to the seed that was maybe put on a little to late in the morning, to get to the proper level.

This also helps to hide the seed from the birds.

Sounds crazy: I thought so too; but it works great.

Now the disclaimer: For this to work your soil has to be ready for the seed, lime, fertilizer, what ever you need to apply to get the ph right.

Frost Planting try it.

Phoenix125
03-24-2010, 11:31 AM
I dont want to sound nit picky, but a 40 lb bag of dirt is 2 cubic feet. there are 27 cubic feet in a yard. 22x2=44 plus the 5 bags manure is 54 cubic feet, or 2 yards.Thanks for the info. Upon my google searching (quickly during lunch), I found only one site: Yahoo! Answers (not a very reliable source, I know) and someone said each bag was only 1 cu. foot.

In that case, $16 a yard is not a bad deal at all!

tshIm
03-24-2010, 12:03 PM
... you may want to look at a slice seeder, which you can rent by the day,they work good :goodl: John
When I built my house 15 years ago, my BIL, who worked for ChemLawn at the time, brought over a slice seeder (he called it a "slit seeder - same difference, I think) to help me put in the yard. That grass grew to be the most full, luscious lawn I've ever had. Don't know how it would do on an established yard, but I'd give it a try.

JRC IOWA
03-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Right or wrong i had to decide.I put down the seed then the fert and took the detacher over it.I kinda thought it was closer to raking it in.Now i need rain.Chance tomorrow and on sunday maybe rain and snow that would help a lot ?
THANK ALL

Phoenix125
03-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Now i need rain.Chance tomorrow and on sunday maybe rain and snow that would help a lot ?
THANK ALLGood luck with the rain because you'll certainly need it. Grass seed doesn't germinate well at all without plenty of water.

Of course, if I was overseeding 2 acres, I, too, would be praying for rain! There's no real good way to water an area that big.

I'm actually holding off on leveling/redoing my front yard until my overseeded area around the house has well germinated.... I simply don't have enough sprinklers/garden hose to water the front yard and around the house simultaneously.

Again, :goodl: and :wwp:

John Snykus
03-25-2010, 11:03 AM
I had a neighbor who put weed & feed on his front yard. What he didn't know was that his front yard was all weeds. Made it simple no over seeding required. Just rototilled it all up and started from scratch.:sidelaugh

JRC IOWA
03-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Well the rain i was hopping for is not coming any time soon.I have watered a few spots that i worked hard but it.But no way i can water 2 acres.What kind of window do i have?I am thinking the seed will be ok but the birds will get more.Will the fert hurt the lawn?I didn't use any weed killer this year for the new seed.

ggsteve
03-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Well the rain i was hopping for is not coming any time soon.I have watered a few spots that i worked hard but it.But no way i can water 2 acres.What kind of window do i have?I am thinking the seed will be ok but the birds will get more.Will the fert hurt the lawn?I didn't use any weed killer this year for the new seed.

I think you'll be fine. The seed will germinate when it rains. As long as you didn't seriously over fertilize I can't imagine that you can burn out your lawn in the spring.

ggsteve
03-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Don't laugh, but I purchased (22) 40 lb bags of top soil and (5) 40 lb bags of manure compost from Menards for $32 total, effectively giving me 1 yard of topsoil. I spread it over my front yard (only about 1000 sq. feet). Now, when I water my lawn, I only have to water that area 2x / day. It appears that the topdressing is helping a lot.

I finally bit the bullet and had 12 yards of loam trucked in last fall. I top dressed the yard, spreading it by hand (2-3 trailer loads a day) until I ran out. I overseeded and though it's early the grass looks way better than ever before. One problem though, now I'm horrified by the brown patches I see, they blended in before. :sidelaugh