Tough time finding 20W40 hydraulic fluid [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Tough time finding 20W40 hydraulic fluid

coobie
03-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Where are you folks buying your 20w40 hydraulic fluid from?I went out today to TSC,auto zone and wally world and no one carries this weight fliud.I will check the dealer monday.Thanks for any help.coobie:thanku:

Bart
03-07-2010, 10:30 AM
The only place I know of that sells it is an Ingersoll dealer and that is why most of us use either 15w-40 or 20w-50 both of which will work fine. Use a good quality oil like Rotella with antifoaming agents.

bhildret
03-07-2010, 11:00 AM
I agree. It is available from Ingersoll or AMSOIL, but the price is prohibitive just to get the grade right.

In Michigan climate, I endorse 15W40. If you are a hard user, with hydraulics like the vacuum, during summer, consider 20W50.

Brian

coobie
03-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys,I will buy the 15W40 tomarrow.coobie

Caseman2
03-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Coobie, I don't know where your at in MI but you can get the Shell Rottella t cheaper at stores like Wal-mart than you can at a Shell gas station or oil change place, also make sure its motor oil not hydraulic oil.

99flhr
03-07-2010, 05:35 PM
^ 5 gal = $54 @ T.S.C.
Don`t know what Wally gets

coobie
03-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Coobie, I don't know where your at in MI but you can get the Shell Rottella t cheaper at stores like Wal-mart than you can at a Shell gas station or oil change place, also make sure its motor oil not hydraulic oil.caseman,I live in southern Mi(hillsdale county).Are you saying to put Rottella 15W40 motor oil in the hydraulic system instead of hydraulic fluid?Please forgive me but why?Is rottella better for the system?:thanku: coobie

Bart
03-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Are you saying to put Rottella 15W40 motor oil in the hydraulic system instead of hydraulic fluid?Please forgive me but why?Is rottella better for the system?:thanku: coobie

Yes, MOTOR OIL! The short reason is that is what the manufacturer recommends.

coobie
03-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Yes, MOTOR OIL! The short reason is that is what the manufacturer recommends.Bart,I guess I am a little miffed and old school I was under the impression you had to use Hydraulic fluid in a hydraulic system.Thanks,coobie

Bart
03-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Bart,I guess I am a little miffed and old school I was under the impression you had to use Hydraulic fluid in a hydraulic system.Thanks,coobie

I don't think you'll find any 20w-40 hydraulic fluid anywhere.:rolleyes:

The reason you need the heavier weight oil is that the gerotor motors used on these tractors and some attachments are design to allow a small amount of oil to bypass the impeller and if you use a lighter weight hydraulic fluid it will significantly reduce the power of the motor to the point that the tractor may not move if the oil heats up.

coobie
03-07-2010, 07:42 PM
I don't think you'll find any 20w-40 hydraulic fluid anywhere.:rolleyes:

The reason you need the heavier weight oil is that the gerotor motors used on these tractors and some attachments are design to allow a small amount of oil to bypass the impeller and if you use a lighter weight hydraulic fluid it will significantly reduce the power of the motor to the point that the tractor may not move if the oil heats up.I will head out tomarrow and look for Shell rottela(motor oil) for the hydraulic system.:thanku: coobie

Caseman2
03-08-2010, 12:25 AM
caseman,I live in southern Mi(hillsdale county).Are you saying to put Rottella 15W40 motor oil in the hydraulic system instead of hydraulic fluid?Please forgive me but why?Is rottella better for the system?:thanku: coobie

I live near Waterford in Oakland County, glad we got you straight on the oil before you bought the wrong stuff.

coobie
03-08-2010, 03:15 AM
I live near Waterford in Oakland County, glad we got you straight on the oil before you bought the wrong stuff.Yes sir me to,I was headed out first thing this morning and would have bought hydraulic fluid:duh: Thanks,coobie

pigsitter
06-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Once again MTF saves the day as I am heading out to get some rotella for my mom's Ingersoll.Thanks for the above advice,I just changed a power steering hose and am in need of a refill.:fing32:

Bob Mac
06-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Once again MTF saves the day as I am heading out to get some rotella for my mom's Ingersoll.Thanks for the above advice,I just changed a power steering hose and am in need of a refill.:fing32:

The only condition worse than being pigless is out of Coors and ammo at the same time!!!!!
Bob MacGregor in CT not Texas!!:trink40::banghead3:dancingpa:fam32:

Mjoe7
06-30-2010, 10:46 PM
I have been using the Amsoil 15x40 with awesome results.
The Rotella is great also as mentioned already. Certainly easier on the wallet.

Bob Mac
06-30-2010, 11:11 PM
The only other source of 20W40 that I have seen is a synthetic supplied by MerCruiser for some of their Inboard/Outboard units. But at almost twice the cost of Ingersoll 20W40 dino oil it is out of the question. I have been using 20W50 synthetic at $6.50/quart from one of the auto parts chain stores.
Bob MacGregor in CT:thThumbsU:trink39:

castoff
06-30-2010, 11:22 PM
If you want 20W40, then give your local Yamaha dealer a try. Yamaha specs that grade for some of their road bikes but even some of the Yamaha bike owners refuse to pay the price Yamaha wants for that blend. Instead, they often go with the same grade options that Case/Ingersoll owners choose.

Weoxstan
07-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Does this fluid work on all the case gt series? I have 1974 444 if that helps.

Caseman2
07-06-2010, 01:46 AM

If you mean motor oil then the answer is yes, I use the Shell Rottella T 15W40.

castoff
07-06-2010, 05:13 AM

One of the problems associated with these tractors is the mis-use of wording followed by the misunderstanding of that wording.

The term "hydraulic fluid" and the term "motor oil" are essentially miles apart because the viscosity of the respective oils are also miles apart. Colt, Case and Ingersoll tractors use nothing but "motor oil" in their hydraulic systems. They do not use any type of oil that is commonly referred to in the industry as "hydraulic fluid".

No matter which make, model or year of Colt, Case or Ingersoll garden tractor equipped with the Colt-a-Matic, Hydra-static or Hy driv system you own, it takes only motor oil in the hydraulic reservoir. You can use 20W40, 20W50, 15W40 or single grade 30W motor oils.

If you use anything but one of the above grades, then you will not get the best performance possible from your tractor.

Weoxstan
07-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Understood. Now this begs to ask about this: What if you have a home built frontend loader for it and you are using the factory pump to drive the whole system? I am thinking that the hydraulic cylinders won't like the Rotilla, or am I wrong?

Jeff

boomers_influence
07-06-2010, 09:58 PM
in the early 80/S we had Cat 910 loaders.
engine oil used for everything.
now, we ONLY have CASE 621, 721, 821. thank God.
boomer

castoff
07-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Yes..... sadly..... you are wrong.:biglaugh:

Cylinders could care less what fluid is used.

Crews of crippled bombers that had leaking hydraulic systems used to urinate into the reservoir to keep their plane in the air long enough to get back to base.

Weoxstan
07-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Yes..... sadly..... you are wrong.:biglaugh:

Cylinders could care less what fluid is used.

Crews of crippled bombers that had leaking hydraulic systems used to urinate into the reservoir to keep their plane in the air long enough to get back to base.

Well that is why I am here asking the questions, to learn.
Thanks for clearing that up! I am a pilot and I will also keep the urine in mind too if the need ever arises.

Jeff

castoff
07-07-2010, 05:21 AM
Well that is why I am here asking the questions, to learn.
Thanks for clearing that up! I am a pilot and I will also keep the urine in mind too if the need ever arises.

Jeff

If you pilot commercial passenger jets, you should set up an impromptu in-flight emergency drill procedure on your next overseas run. Pretend that there is an actual crisis and insist that all the passengers proceed in an orderly fashion to the washroom and pee in a bottle. That will give them something to remember about flying with you.

Weoxstan
07-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Nope, I don't work for the airlines. Something tells me that if I did the pretend crisis with a plane full of passengers, I probably wouldn't have the airline job for very long. :)