clutch adjustment ? [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: clutch adjustment ?

daytona54
03-02-2010, 01:27 PM
hi
i have a 10 h/p Sears Craftsman 502.255020 rear engine rider mower that jerks forward after i put it in gear then release the clutch (jerking occurs after gear engaged and start to release the clutch) but rides fine after engaged, shouldn't it start to ride a little smoother when releasing the clutch ?
thanks for any help........... paul....palmbay fl.

hankll
03-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Not necessarily, depends what gear you are talking about this happening and how fast your engine rpm's are when your release the clutch. I routinely pop a small wheelie with my own rider, when I put it in 4th or 5th gear and don't throttle back the engine a little. These aren't exactly clutches like your car has. There is a certain amount of easing it in that you can do, but I've never known of an adjustment. Your drive belt could be the incorrect size, perhaps, too tight and the idler pulley may not have enough slack to help in the engaging of the drive. There, should be a peddle travel adjustment, which would changed the location of the peddle relative to the engagement of the drive belt to trans-axle. If you mean that, just jack it up push on the peddle and follow the linkage to a nut on a shaft and adjust it until you feel the peddle ease it's pressure somewhat. Just remember, in most cases, your clutch is also your brake peddle. So if you adjust it and then have no brakes, then either move it back some til you do have brakes or you may have to put it back like it was to get your brakes. Riding mowers are not known for having good brakes. Most are in owners manual for adjustment, indicating that if you stop within 3-4 or length of the rider, they are adjusted. Not usually a stop on the dime type of set up. You would understand if you saw the size of the brake puck on the rotor.
This is a generalized description. It may or may not work for you in your rider application. Be sure when testing your brakes that you are not on a hill.

daytona54
03-02-2010, 08:33 PM
thanks hank,
i'll try the clutch(tension belt pully)adjustment,i appreciate your advice and will do this tomorrow

Kbeitz
03-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Cannon wax on the belt works for me....