Water treatment, and filtering? [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Water treatment, and filtering?

Ingersoll444
10-10-2005, 12:41 PM
We have well water at the house and its real hard. Also we get some crud in it once in a wile, and want to set up a water filter system. Any tips, tricks, or hints for me? Good systems, bad systems etc? Thanks for any ideas. Kinda lost on where to eaven start.

cadurning
10-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Don't know if this will help, but a buddy of mine rigged up as system back in the late '60's. He had a lot of iron in his water. From what I remember he used a filter housing that looked like a swimming pool filter and a 2 section systern(sp) that looked like a septic tank to me. He used the filter to get out the big chunks and the 2 section septic tank to allow the remaining sediment fall out in the 1st section before it spilled over into the second section of the tank. He did have an additional cartrige filter to catch what was left before the water went into the house. When it was all done the water was clear and bleach (un sented) took away the nasty taste/smell. BTW they used bottled water for drinking. The bad part is that the primary filter would clog daily so he would have to backflush at leaset once a day.

Mickey
10-10-2005, 07:00 PM
At the very least I would recommend a water softener to take car of one of your problems and if that wasn't enough, add on a filter. If iron is present, there are iron filters as well.

One thing to think about if you're on a septic system, do you really want to dump all the salt into the system since salt is what is used to "recharge" a water softener.

John Deere Addict
10-10-2005, 10:34 PM
We have hard water here so we put in a water softener. Seems to do the trick. Just a tip though, if you go with a water softener make sure you have one outside sillcock (spigot) that is not connected to the softener loop. The salt will kill any plants and flowers you may have when you water them, keep that one line just well water.

mark TS
10-10-2005, 10:49 PM
The iron and TDS (total dissolved solids) in your water is what is unpleasant. What type of pipping system do you have installed in your house? You can filter and soften all you want at the source but if you have iron pipe supplying your spigot then all is lost. Do not let anyone sell you a system unless they have sampled the water from the source.
MTS

Bruceman
10-11-2005, 01:49 AM
First thing to do is buy a kit to test for the hardness level yourself, so you will know if the guy trying to sell you his softner is blowing smoke up your .... Most companies will send someone out to test your water, to determine what model you need. He/She will pour a glass from your faucet, and drop tablets in, counting them until the water turns color. The more tablets it takes, the harder the water, which means a bigger softner or more cash.

We bought ours about eight years ago, and did alot of research at the time. they're are or were only two type, electric and those that run off water pressure. With some you can't run the dishwasher and the clothes washer, or take a shower at the same time, because you will run out of soft water. You have to wait x amount of time for more to be softened. So make sure you buy one with adequate size brine tanks for reserve.

I settled on a Kinetico softner, that works off water pressure. We sometimes have unexplained power outages in our area, electric coop, for a few seconds or minutes, so I didn't want to hassle with resetting an electric one. This bad boy has two large brine tanks, and let me tell you, with my five, five children and me showering in the moring, we have put this thing to the test. My wife is constantly running the dishwasher and washing mashine. the softner hasn't failed us yet. It's kind of pricey though, installed with a full load of salt was just under 2k. Oh yeah, we use about 3 40lb bags, Iv'e found "Morton" brand to be the cleanest, each month. You will probably use 1.

We only has one house sediment filter, which does a great job. I use the filters that look like a ball of yarn. If you have other elements that make your water taste bad, a dual filter may help.

Anyway, I don't know if this helps, but there's my .02 :00000061:

the Kinetico site has some good info on hard water
http://www.kinetico.com/residntl/index2.htm

Good Luck Bruce~

Ingersoll444
10-11-2005, 06:06 AM
Well, it was tested when the well was hooked up to the house. I trust the guy that did it, as I asked if we should get a softerner, and he said to live with it a bit, and see if you think you need one.

Cank remember the test#'s, but it was eather 12 or 19 grains of hardness. Landry soap does not work well, and with a 3year old in the house, dirty clouthes are a biggy.

Oh and no iron eather. Just sedamint.

HydroHarold
10-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Paul,
Well, another few 2 cents' and you'll have a dime... Here's mine. :D Cadurning's buddy had what is called a very "active" well which only means that as the water moves through the aquafer (water layer) under the ground it is carrying lots of material. He took a logical step to settle out the material and wisely used bottled water for drinking and I hope cooking. (BTW, NEVER USE WATER FROM THE "HOT" TAP FOR COOKING") Heating water in any manner can activate and store unfilterable chemical (naturally occuring and non-naturally occuring) nasties in the water and you don't want that stuff down in your bod.

Water Softeners: This is the first house I've had that had or needed a water softener. During drought periods I shut it off to shorten the pump cycle so as to not overdraw the well. We do need the PH adjustment to keep calcium in check. Regarding dumping brine in a septic tank, this system was just cleaned after six years of only two people using the septic system and the tank action was normal. I believe cycling uses about 80 gallons on my system. I do think that the brine is what caused premature failure of two previous steel septic tanks. When I replaced the latter one I had a two section 1000 gal. poly tank installed.

Also for "City Water" users: It's a good idea for you to have a sediment filter on your intake line as well. Broken water mains, water main repairs, directional changes in main flow by demand, use by fire departments or filling street sweepers all contribute to stirring up sediment in water mains. Water may be filtered by your supplier but by the time it goes through all the piping to your house it can pick up quite a bit of "stuff".

"WELL",maybe that was 3 cents... :D

glenn27
02-10-2007, 12:39 PM
First thing to do is buy a kit to test for the hardness level yourself, so you will know if the guy trying to sell you his softner is blowing smoke up your .... Most companies will send someone out to test your water, to determine what model you need. He/She will pour a glass from your faucet, and drop tablets in, counting them until the water turns color. The more tablets it takes, the harder the water, which means a bigger softner or more cash.

We bought ours about eight years ago, and did alot of research at the time. they're are or were only two type, electric and those that run off water pressure. With some you can't run the dishwasher and the clothes washer, or take a shower at the same time, because you will run out of soft water. You have to wait x amount of time for more to be softened. So make sure you buy one with adequate size brine tanks for reserve.

I settled on a Kinetico softner, that works off water pressure. We sometimes have unexplained power outages in our area, electric coop, for a few seconds or minutes, so I didn't want to hassle with resetting an electric one. This bad boy has two large brine tanks, and let me tell you, with my five, five children and me showering in the moring, we have put this thing to the test. My wife is constantly running the dishwasher and washing mashine. the softner hasn't failed us yet. It's kind of pricey though, installed with a full load of salt was just under 2k. Oh yeah, we use about 3 40lb bags, Iv'e found "Morton" brand to be the cleanest, each month. You will probably use 1.

We only has one house sediment filter, which does a great job. I use the filters that look like a ball of yarn. If you have other elements that make your water taste bad, a dual filter may help.

Anyway, I don't know if this helps, but there's my .02 :00000061:

the Kinetico site has some good info on hard water
http://www.kinetico.com/residntl/index2.htm

Good Luck Bruce~

Bruceman--I know this is an oldie, but when you installed the water system, and you buy the bags of salt--do you get the pellets/or the grainular? I'm in the midst right now of having one done @ my humble adobe...

MaineDad
02-10-2007, 01:27 PM
I installed an inline water filter that uses cartridges. Once a month a change it and it seems to work real well. Bought it at Home Depot for about 70 bucks or so. When I can get mobile enough to get down there I can post a picture.

Removes a lot of the minerals and silt. Water seems OK to me but I am on the same aquifer as the Poland Spring Bottling Company!

refracman
02-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Paul,
ive lived with wells for 35yrs. if your water is under 20, a simple water softener set will do you. most counties ( at least in oh.) have a water testing program or some hardware stores do it. My water has 80 grains w/iron and only use a single tank w/brine tank, if you had iron w/ sulfer you will need a bigger set up. around here Sears has/had a good set, Culliagen has them to, i got my new one (15yrs ago) from a water delivery co. ($700) and used 300#s of morton iron treatment rock salt a month.If you backflush into your septic treat it every 6 months to keep working. also if you well puts out less than 10 gal per min. get a inline reducer so you dont suck your well dry while regenerating your softener. Before i switched to a inground pump it had a foot valve which lasted 2/3 years.
good luck steve

Bruceman
02-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Bruceman--I know this is an oldie, but when you installed the water system, and you buy the bags of salt--do you get the pellets/or the grainular? I'm in the midst right now of having one done @ my humble adobe...

Howdy, Glenn. I'm not exactly sure which is better. We have used the pellets for about Eight years now without any problems.

There's a water treatment Company, thats been there 30+ years, on my route in the city, I drive for UPS. Anyway, I picked their brains about it and they said that the Morton pellets are about as good as you can get.

Bruce~

mbkerk
02-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Here is a picture of my latch-up Paul...

http://www.98dodge.com/images/water.jpg

The whole house filter, filters all of the water I use, but I peel off hard water for the cold water in the kitchen sink, one toilet, 2 of my 3 outside faucets, and my ice maker in my freezer.

I notice my toilet that flushes with soft water is MUCH easier to keep clean that the one with hard water.

Also, you DO NOT want to run soft water to an ice maker. The ice tastes terrible!

I do have one outside faucet that has soft water that I use for the pressure washer, washing cars, etc.

I change the filter, I use a taste and odor filter... every 15,000 gallons. We have good water in my city now, but that has not always been the case. Used to have to change it more often.

We use Morton pellets, and my brine tank is always clean as a whistle. Now that my kids have moved away, we only have to run a cycle once a week. I think my starting hardness is about 10, but boy can you tell it when you run out of salt. No suds in the shower!

Hope this helps!

Dan Lovell
02-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Here is a picture of my latch-up Paul...

http://www.98dodge.com/images/water.jpg

The whole house filter, filters all of the water I use, but I peel off hard water for the cold water in the kitchen sink, one toilet, 2 of my 3 outside faucets, and my ice maker in my freezer.

I notice my toilet that flushes with soft water is MUCH easier to keep clean that the one with hard water.

Also, you DO NOT want to run soft water to an ice maker. The ice tastes terrible!

I do have one outside faucet that has soft water that I use for the pressure washer, washing cars, etc.

I change the filter, I use a taste and odor filter... every 15,000 gallons. We have good water in my city now, but that has not always been the case. Used to have to change it more often.

We use Morton pellets, and my brine tank is always clean as a whistle. Now that my kids have moved away, we only have to run a cycle once a week. I think my starting hardness is about 10, but boy can you tell it when you run out of salt. No suds in the shower!

Hope this helps!

Mark another reason not to run softened water to an ice maker, it will corrode the guts of the ice maker.

Dan

Ingersoll444
02-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I have still not decided on a system yet, so the input in welcome.

glenn27
02-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks also!