closing a pool [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: closing a pool

Ingersoll444
10-05-2005, 04:12 PM
I have to close the pool over at my Mom's house, and I have a q? When you have a above ground pool, and have a lower drain, how do you stop it from freezing? I got everything else down, just cant figure that one out.

Greg
10-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Paul,

By "lower", do you mean the pool drains through an underground pipe to a main drain pipe?

I have to flush out my sprinkler system, using compressed air, to purge water and keep the system from freezing. Anything like that?

Uncle Greg

Ingersoll444
10-05-2005, 04:23 PM
It the lower drain in the pool. It is in the center, at the botom of the pool. It has the line that comes out from under the pool, and up to the filter.

Greg
10-05-2005, 04:25 PM
If your concern is water that is still in that drain, between the pool and the filter, either remove and drain the water, or purge similar to what I do with air... Would that work?

Uncle Greg

Ingersoll444
10-05-2005, 04:37 PM
hmmm not sure. I would need to find a way to plug the hose, with a valve in it to blow it out.

glenn27
10-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Ing.444- I've got a above ground pool that I winterize every year, and I only have two line running from the side ofit-one from contrl head on sand filter back to pool, and the pool outlet-from skimmer box into pump motor. Don't have an idea about a line from center of pool-
Sorry about no input
:fing20:

Ingersoll444
10-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Well I am thinking I may just pack around that line with a bunch of bags of leaves. It is only about a foot long part of hose that comes out of the ground, to the filyter, so maybe just some protection will do the trick.

glenn27
10-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Ing 444-Seems like you are on the right track-I drain all the filters, disconnect hoses, cover inside of skimmer box, drop water level below skimmer level (ice will expand if frozen), and then just cover pool, and tie down the cover for wind. On the big sand filter outside, I loosen all clamps to allow for expansion, turn control head to close, and just leave hoses to drain from pool onto ground if it does rise. I wrap the filter and motor w/ that plastic bubble wrap, and then a big heavy plastic trash bag. Come spring time-reverse the procedure, "shock" the heck out of the water, fill back up, and turn pump on to clear algea out.
Hope any of this might help-
:trink40:

Ingersoll444
10-22-2005, 05:39 AM
Thanks glenn.

Pretty much what I have done. Just have a cartage filter, so I brought that inside. The skimmer hose is off, and the pool drained to below the skimmer, and the "eye ball" I have the lower drain shot off, but cnat realy do more with it. Had tryed to put something over the floor drain, to stop the flow, but that did not work. Kinda just hoping the ground, and all that water in the pool will keep it warm enough to stop it from freezing, Agean there just only about a foot or so of pipe above ground, so I think if I have some inslation around it, it will do the trick. Good idea on the bubble wrap. I get a ton of that at work. Maybe I will wrap up the pipe with that first, then lay on the leaves. With that, the leaves, and the black trash bags sucking up the sun, I should be fine.