Preparing for Winter [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Preparing for Winter

Wingnut
10-04-2005, 07:53 PM
My winter are really mild and it will be mid November for the first cold snap; if you could call it that upper 30's low 40's at night seldom freeze, but it can.

Clean and start the chainsaw
Sharpen the chains for it
Started the log splitter and ran it.
I got 60 gallons of gasoline and sta-bil stored and 6 gallon of diesel so far.
No telling how high fuel prices will be this winter.
Both generators were check out before the hurricanes.

Still need to get anti-freeze for the Allis B and TO-30.

Should be no surprises unless I am nominated to the supreme court ROF

Greg
10-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Wingnut,

Very much the same here...chainsaw, generators, gas, PW storage. One big project before the rain/cold is having a new roof put on the house, scheduled for this month. I'm also getting a ceiling storage loft, so I can get some of the garages cleaned up, as part of the deal. They'll also put the same roof on my garden barn...a freebee.

We don't get much snow here, but lots of rain, wind and a few power outages. I am also considering a lawn sweeper, for all the leaves and pine needles.

Uncle Greg

JDFANATIC
10-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Very much the same here...vacation plans (this year I think we'll hang out around the Yucatan Peninsula), probably go to see my sister in Sarasota, I think my industry is having a convention in Arizona. Unfortunately it won't accommodate the entire winter...so...

I just cleaned up my snowblower -- lots of years of neglect -- it just isn't my favorite attachment. Put on a new scraper blade, new shoes, removed the auger and straightened out a few dings from my gravel days, and then painted everything yellow and black. It really looks good (I'm hoping that will be enough to keep the white stuff away).

Well most of you guys know by now that 4th season just isn't my thing. I guess the bright side is that I've already stocked up on lots of Blackberry Brandy -- strictly medicinal and only required until spring comes around.

Counting the days!

JDFANATIC
JD2210

Mark / Ohio
10-04-2005, 11:12 PM
I bought my first bottle of synthetic oil the other day. Going to give it a try in my snow blower with the 3 hp Briggs. This engine has always been on the stubborn side to get started. Thought it might make it easier to pull and get going at freezing and below. We still have another month or so of mowing and leaves to clean up. I've always added Stabil in the fall and do the maintenance in the spring on my engines. I need to scrape out the chimney and inspect it for cracks. Also need to get my wood pile in order and covered up in preparation for the snow and ice.

freebird
10-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Just had 24 yards of 1-1/4" gravel laid in the driveway. Splitting and stacking all kinds of wood. Gonna clean the flue this weekend. All rigs have sta-bil in them.

Ken N Tx
10-05-2005, 05:05 PM
My winter are really mild and it will be mid November for the first cold snap; if you could call it that upper 30's low 40's at night seldom freeze, but it can.

Clean and start the chainsaw
Sharpen the chains for it
Started the log splitter and ran it.
I got 60 gallons of gasoline and sta-bil stored and 6 gallon of diesel so far.
No telling how high fuel prices will be this winter.
Both generators were check out before the hurricanes.

Still need to get anti-freeze for the Allis B and TO-30.

Should be no surprises unless I am nominated to the supreme court ROF

I did not know that they sell anti-freese that far South!!

Tell everyone when was the last time it dropped below say 20 degrees in your part of Texas!!

Wingnut
10-05-2005, 05:42 PM
I did not know that they sell anti-freese that far South!!

Tell everyone when was the last time it dropped below say 20 degrees in your part of Texas!!

The antifreeze is in novelty at the autoparts store between the curb feelers and the crown air-fresheners.

The last time below 20 degrees; that depends on which way I am holding a compass ROF ROF

glenn27
10-22-2005, 05:54 PM
This one to MEMMurphy- I just
posted last week on the filter/lube thread about synthetic oil- I've started using Amsoil in a Toyota P/U, and I'm going to see how it does-I signed up for preferred customer status (15/20% off), and then in a few years, I'D LIKE to retire down in S.W. Fla., and maybe become a dealer/distributor (just to have something to kick around with.) From what I have read-synthetics seem to be fast coming into their own.Let me know how it works-if you have time, go on a couple of the independent websites for syn., and see what the average-joe user says. A little knowledge never hurts- Sorry, I start running offfffff about mechanical stuff.
Keep the faith-Tkxs
:trink40:

Mark / Ohio
10-23-2005, 12:29 AM
Will do, glenn27,

I just re-read my post and realized I've not done a single one of them yet. :fing20: Maybe once it starts snowing I'll get it done. I'm running behind as always. :dogrun:

chrpmaster
10-23-2005, 12:21 PM
:ditto:

I do envy the guys who seem to be ahead of the curve on this stuff probably because I never seem to be one of them. ROF

With natural gas prices going up so high this year and three women in the house I have lots of wood to cut and split. plus all the leaf cleanup and winterizing all the equipment. Maybe I'll go with Ed's suggestion and break out the Crown Royal and forget it. At least I'll be warm. (til she throws me out!!)

Andy

Argee
10-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Well I've pretty much done all my garden and yard clean up work for the year. Just have to change the oil on the GT5000 and install the snowblower for the season. I am finishing off a room in my shop so the cats can have a warm place this winter...and a place where their water doesn't freeze every day.