Cleaning up sawdust from lawn.....How? [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Cleaning up sawdust from lawn.....How?

krm944
01-16-2010, 07:42 PM
I have a couple of trees that I think I will hire a tree service to cut down for me. To get the best price, I am going to have them put them on the ground, chip/remove the brush and I will finish cutting them up.

FIREWOOD IS $150-$175 A CORD HERE IN VIRGINIA BEACH

My trees are both Oak, and next year I should be able to re-coup my costs in tree removal. But Im gonna have a mountain of sawdust.

Will a Billy Goat or Lawn Vac suck up sawdust?

I would estimate I have about 8 or 9 cords of wood between the two trees!

frank st amand
01-16-2010, 07:52 PM
I used a sweeper for my sawdust i cut and split 24 to 36 cord a year
i had no problems with this set up pull behine sweeper like agri fab

Exto
01-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Personally, I'd just rake the dust into the lawn and let it go to mulch.

hivolt07
01-16-2010, 08:06 PM

:ditto:

Only because I don't have a lawn... I have a yard.:sidelaugh

Tencubed
01-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Silly as it may sound, buy a couple of those big, blue, cheap tarps and put them down before you drop the trees. You'll have some holes in them but it sure makes the cleanup of the mess a whole lot easier. The sawdust is easy to clean up compared to the gazillion little twigs and bark chips.

It also assures you that you'll get the job done promptly as leaving that tarp down for too long will kill the grass.

Mike

davidg
01-16-2010, 08:30 PM
i just leave the small amounts and rake out the bigger piles. it does your soil good by putting organics back. i don't even bother with the small twigs, by the time grass cutting starts again they will be brittle enough to mow. but just in case i always wait to sharpen/change blades until after the first couple cuts!

copcamaro
01-16-2010, 08:52 PM
I have a couple of trees that I think I will hire a tree service to cut down for me. To get the best price, I am going to have them put them on the ground, chip/remove the brush and I will finish cutting them up.

FIREWOOD IS $150-$175 A CORD HERE IN VIRGINIA BEACH

My trees are both Oak, and next year I should be able to re-coup my costs in tree removal. But Im gonna have a mountain of sawdust.

Will a Billy Goat or Lawn Vac suck up sawdust?

I would estimate I have about 8 or 9 cords of wood between the two trees!

I would think the Billy Goat would do it (I once sold those machines)
I used my sears shop vac, Had to empty the tank Quite often but IT WORKED!!!!!

01-16-2010, 08:54 PM
You get the maid to do it. But please have some manners and show her where the shop vac and extension cords are.

This information was submitted by a branded site supporter.:sidelaugh

krm944
01-16-2010, 08:58 PM
As I think about it, letting it go to mulch will be a good thing. One of the reasons I want to take the trees down is so I can have a lawn......

I will need a load or two of topsoil/horse manure so I can just rake it flat, top dress with manure/topsoil and seed.

Thats why I like this place! You guys point out the easy simple routes!

Team_Green
01-16-2010, 09:11 PM
8 or 9 cords from two trees.... holy doodle.. can ya post a picture of em...

PA318Guy
01-16-2010, 09:29 PM
I've dropped a couple of big trees and the most I've gotten out of any one tree is about 2 cord cut and split, they must be pretty good size! I think you're on the right track to let it go to mulch, spread it out thin and you'll be amazed how fast it breaks down!

Byron R
01-16-2010, 09:32 PM
If there not dieased..blown over..lightning struck..I would miss the Shade..

krm944
01-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Shade?

Well this year one of the oaks dumped 10 33 gallon garbage cans FULL of Acorns. I was able to shovel them up I had so many. I read that others had the "Year of the Acorn" elsewhere.

The two oaks have robbed my lawn of nutrients, and I cannot make grass grow.

The other oak is a bit too close to the house for comfort and in Hurricane Alley on the East Coast, I am doing my insurance company a favor!

Would I be able to chip up the brush and mix it in with the horse manure and topsoil? Wouldnt it rot/decay and compost?

Tractor-Holic
01-16-2010, 09:52 PM
I used a push mower with a bagger to suck up most of the mess I make using my chainsaw,it works pretty good..then I just dump the chips & bark into the wood stove and enjoy the heat!..I have used the wood chips as "speedi-dri" to sop up oil spills in the garage too,after they have dried out..

KHodges
01-16-2010, 11:22 PM

What he said.

I had a white oak cut from my rental house lawn last summer. After it was cut and split, it was 8 long bed one ton pickup loads to haul away (stacked to the top of the cab in the middle). We just raked all the sawdust around to thin it out, it's already gone.

bogieboy
01-16-2010, 11:30 PM
Hmm......I guess you could rake it out........my way would be to vac it up, stick it in a garbage can with a high volume air hose in the bottom, stick a road flare on top, and let the air go........watch the cool fireball.......LOL boy, you can't tell I'm a pyromaniac can ya..........

Cat385B
01-17-2010, 02:31 AM
You get the maid to do it. But please have some manners and show her where the shop vac and extension cords are.

I hear this young lady is available, just not cheap. Nor does she do sheetrock.

Exto
01-17-2010, 02:45 AM
As I think about it, letting it go to mulch will be a good thing. One of the reasons I want to take the trees down is so I can have a lawn......

I will need a load or two of topsoil/horse manure so I can just rake it flat, top dress with manure/topsoil and seed.

Thats why I like this place! You guys point out the easy simple routes!

I'm the laziest hard worker you'll ever meet. I always look for the easiest way to get a job done properly.

NSBolens
01-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Gotta see a picture of these trees, for 8 or 9 cords, they'd have to be 5 feet thick. are you talking a standard cord, like a pile measuring 4'x4'x8'? you think you will have nine of these piles?

69l46vert
01-17-2010, 09:58 AM
He must mean face cords. Either that or they're record breakers.:omg:

Tree crews here use gas powered blowers, rakes and shovels for cleaning up sawdust/debris around a residence.

Ironmower
01-17-2010, 10:15 AM
He must mean face cords. Either that or they're record breakers.:omg::ditto: Can you get somebody to mill it for you. Would have to do the math, but good oak boards and RR ties are USUALLY worth more than firewood. But at 175 bucks cord, It might not be. I sell my cords for 100 bucks, that's a full cord 4x4x8 you haul, delivery is extra. But that's here in the panhandle of WV. Demand is higher than ever and gettin dry wood now, ain't so easy. Bin cuttin alot of white ash, It's the only wood I know of that will burn good, green. Besides, the EAB is playin **** on them.

69l46vert
01-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Green wood here sells for 200-220 delivered. Plenty of wood here in Maine but not enough people cutting it for firewood. Every year lots of stories of customers being sold short cords by some flybynight operation. That oak really takes 2 years to dry too. Dry enough to get good heat from it anyway.

krm944
01-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Some clarification.......8 or 9 Face Cords.

And FACE Cords sell for 150 to 175 dollars!

The one tree at the base has about a 40 or 45 inch diameter. It stays pretty thick up the trunk for a quite a ways. I will have my work cut out splitting it all, but I can rent a splitter on base for $40 or so. Ill definitely need a stand up for the base blocks.

skyrydr2
01-17-2010, 11:37 AM
You should get about 4 cord out of both trees combined , I've cut some big oaks, never got that much out one yet though.... They would need to be 10' through at the base and straight as an arrow for 100' ,and if that's the case DON'T CUT IT UP FOR FIRE WOOD sell it for lumber !! $600+ a 1000 board ft for veneer oak.

eveled
01-17-2010, 02:50 PM
I'd rake it in the lawn is going to get trashed when you fall them and cut them up any ways. When I cut up pressure treated wood I vacum the saw dust up with my shop vac, I know it is not arsenic anymore but I'm sure it is not good for the lawn. The untreated saw dust I just leave. The lawn tractor with the bagger on it will suck up most of it if you wanted to.. Ed

jdcrawler
01-17-2010, 03:43 PM
WOW .. I'm sure glad I don't live out where you are.

I heat my garage with wood and you can get it for $50 to $60 a full cord, here in northern Michigan.
Also the state lets you go on state land an take out dead wood for free.

My neighbor had about 10 acres cleared off a few years ago.
They left a stack of poplar logs that is about 8 foot wide by 10 foot high and 50 foot long.
The logs range from 4 to 10 inch diameter.

He lets me take all I need at $20 a cord.
Its nice because I can just cut the logs into sections right there off the stack and its less than 1/4 mile away.

If I had to pay $175 a face cord, I think I would put gas heat in the garage.

As far as how to clean up sawdust .. I can't help you with that.
I just leave all the sawdust that I make on his property.

P B G
01-17-2010, 05:10 PM
If you did want to remove it, I would think a leaf blower could do that sort of activity.

Firefyter-Emt
01-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Here in NE Conn. it's about $175 to $225 a cord... Man, $20 a cord is a STEAL!