T Post Driver [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: T Post Driver

papa smurf
01-14-2010, 04:18 PM
... well, more of a Presser, really.

I was told you could use the flat bottom side of your FEL bucket to press in T posts. Anybody been there, done that?

Ken N Tx
01-14-2010, 05:14 PM
... well, more of a Presser, really.

I was told you could use the flat bottom side of your FEL bucket to press in T posts. Anybody been there, done that?

Not in my part of Texas!!! :fing20:

JRC0528
01-14-2010, 05:28 PM
My solution is a 3 foot piece of 2" pipe with a 2" x 3.5" dia slug welded to the top. Slide it over the post and hammer away!! Was free for me, had the materials on hand... still cheap if you can find the slug at a scrapyard.

Team_Green
01-14-2010, 05:40 PM
My solution is a 3 foot piece of 2" pipe with a 2" x 3.5" dia slug welded to the top. Slide it over the post and hammer away!! Was free for me, had the materials on hand... still cheap if you can find the slug at a scrapyard.

:ditto: only i added 5 lbs of lead to it.. sure makes for a lot fewer strokes.

Cat385B
01-14-2010, 06:11 PM
I've done a couple of stretches with a 345 hoe and a lot with a skid steer. That being said, don't do it. The risk of injury is pretty good. Someone holds post till bucket makes contact, then lets go as post goes in. Unless the post shifts a little, guy grabs it to slide it back, bucket still going down, gets hit on shoulder. Or, fence post hits rock, breaks, and hits one of the crew. (or worse, scratches the paint) Lots can go wrong. The safest set up with a small tractor, other than hand driving, is to weld a pipe onto a 3 pt. frame so the fence post is incapsulated inside for 6-8 inches.

Team_Green
01-14-2010, 06:21 PM
If i was going to use the bucket i would tilt the bucket down and put the post inside the bucket and push down.

lmao or worse scratches the paint. thats bloody funny..

papa smurf
01-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Well my friend was using a T post driver (manual style)... he raised up just a bit to high on one of his swings and came up over the top of the post. On the way back down, he just caught the top of the post with the edge of the pipe. the top of the post ddriver came swinging down and hit him right square in the forehead. He was out like a light for a bit there.

But... I appreciate your advise. My property is kinda sandy loam so it might not be too bad using a hand held post driver. I think you all convinced me that this aint worth the risk trying the tractor deal for several reasons, one being I aint ever driven a tractor FEL, dont even own one yet BUT SOON.

Iangb
01-14-2010, 07:24 PM
If you have a 5hp or better compressor you could use one of these.
http://www.thomsontrading.com.au/product2.htm

grnspot110
01-14-2010, 08:17 PM
If you're going to use the loader, put a piece of pipe (w/cap or plug) over the post first to strenghten it!

My doctor also let a post driver hit him on top of the head! He suffered a concusion, was off work for quite some time. ~~ grnspot110

Cntrmass
01-18-2010, 11:59 PM
I saw a finger that somehow ot between a post driver and the post.UGLY!

Chain a post driver to the FEL and push them in.

wally2q
01-19-2010, 06:54 AM
depending on how long your T Posts is, you could "push it in by wrapping a chain around it part way up (as already mentioned), and hooking onto the FEL. Otherwise, the FEL will probably not be high enough to press in a 6' or 7' long T-Post.

I used a sledge hammer to hammer in T-Posts for my 7' tall wine-grape trellis.

Now I did use the FEL to press in post-anchors that were only 3.5 - 4' tall. Worked like a charm. Used a small block of wood to prevent paint-scratching. See pic below.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/wally2q/IMG_7762_small.jpg

helixhippie
01-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Ok, this will sound crazy..... I use my big ol' BOSCH electric jack hammer. I set my 8k gen in the back of the pickup & stand on the tailgate & after the burst of energy it takes to lift the macine on top of the post, it does the rest of the work.

TxTallGrass
01-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Papa Smurf - I use a Rohrer Mfg model 98E post driver. It drives t-posts in rocky Tx Hill Country soil pretty good. Putting a pointed end on the t-post makes the driving in hard/rocky soil easier. The 98E driver is supported with a Craftsman 1.8 hp portable compressor and a small generator to run the compressor. The Rohrer 98E will drive t-posts in sandy loam with no problem. Easy one man operation.

Upper5Percent
01-27-2010, 11:27 PM
http://www.rhinotool.com/choose.html

slip knot
01-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Ive used a bobcat bucket to push in 100s of post. Weld a 2in pipe collar to the bucket centerd up on the inside top of the bucket. Get a 2in piece of pipe cut to the length you want the post to stick out. I usually weld a flat bar across the bottom for support.

Place the cut pipe over the post, stand it up in position. top of the post goes into the pipe collar thats welded into bucket. push the post in. when bucket contacts the pipe it done. This is a two person operation. the post holder stand off to the side and lines post up front to back and Skid steer driver lines up left to right. If post is a bit crooked just use the bucket to re-align post.

I'd have to be desperate to hand drive post again.