removing mold from siding [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: removing mold from siding

Ingersoll444
04-12-2005, 12:42 PM
I have a few aeras on my house that have a lot of mold on the vinel siding. Any tips for cleaning it, but without hurting the siding?

911radioman
04-12-2005, 12:49 PM
I use a slightly weakened mixture of bleach and water (can't quite remember the ratio) and a scrub brush. My siding is clay colored and it doesn't affect the color at all and the mold comes right off. Hope that helps!

Durwood
04-12-2005, 01:04 PM
I have always heard to use bleach too. Check on the product label and it should tell you what it's ok for. If you go to a place that sells siding (lowes,home depot, etc ) they should sell a product to clean it with.

Durwood

drbailey
04-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Ingersoll444 , Idid like 911radioman, 1 gal water 4 caps bleach , scrubed it with a long handled car was brush , then rinse ( before drying ) , I used my pressure washer. If u do any part , I would suggest doing the complete wall.

CatDaddy
04-12-2005, 01:11 PM
I've had pretty good success using TSP (tri-sodium phosphate - I think) in removing mold & mildew from walls & ceilings without damaging the finish.

Durwood
04-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Ingersoll444 , Idid like 911radioman, 1 gal water 4 caps bleach , scrubed it with a long handled car was brush , then rinse ( before drying ) , I used my pressure washer. If u do any part , I would suggest doing the complete wall.

:ditto: on the whole wall. It will probably show the spot washing if you don't.

Durwood

Ingersoll444
04-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Well the whole wall would be tough. Realy pretty tall. Maybe I will test out a low part, and see how it looks

04-12-2005, 03:21 PM
If you have a pressure washer, I would try spraying the wall down with a strong clorox solution and then pressure wash it off after it has had maybe a half hour or so so soak in. Otherwise the old scrub brush and clorox solution is the other choice. Wash it off with the hose.

freebird
04-12-2005, 03:27 PM
I use a product called "60 second (something) cleaner". I buy it at Lowes home and garden. I use it on my beige vinyl siding, my deck, even hit the lo-boy once with it to get the mold off the north side as parked. I do dilute it some, spray on with pressure washer (low presure), scrub, blast it off!

Argee
04-12-2005, 10:09 PM
called X-14 that was designed for that very problem. I used some on a moldy canvas camper top once without any residual damage. It was bleach based.

Ingersoll444
04-13-2005, 05:48 AM
I have seen that before Argee. Cant remember where though.

I will have to check whats out there. I was afread the bleach would hurt the siding, but it sounds like as long as I cut it, it should be fine. This aera looks real bad, and its right in front. Got my gutters up last year, and that should stop it from coming back though[I hope]

JDFANATIC
04-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Clorox makes a outdoor cleaner that has something for mold/mildew etc. I used it on my lawn furniture and then decks and it worked great. You just apply it with a sprayer and let it sit for a while and then wash off (some scrubbing required). I'll look later to see if I have some left in the shed -- I did purchase it at HD though.

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

JDFANATIC
04-14-2005, 07:03 PM
It's called:

Clorox Outdoor Bleach Cleaner

Worked well enough for me that I would purchase it again.

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

Ingersoll444
06-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Well all this worrying about nothing. My wife went out, hosed it down, scrubbed it with a little soap and water and it came right off. Easy. :D Hey some times things work out the easy way. Not many time thoguh it seems.