Household aid for the needy [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Household aid for the needy

Mickey
09-16-2005, 02:27 PM
If you take care of someone that is weak and needs assistance in getting in and out of bed, here is something I put together in an hour that has proved to be a great help to my mom.

Made from 1" PVC pipe and fittings. Material cost $15.

Rests on floor to give vert support and strength. The laterial bars fit between the mattress and box spring. Gives lat support and keeps the things from moving.

JDFANATIC
09-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Pretty clever!

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

bontai Joe
09-16-2005, 04:26 PM
A BIG thank you as I will probably be making at least one of these right away, probably 2. Thanks again! My mom also has some trouble getting out of bed in the morning (always gotta take care of mom! :fing02: ), and I can think of 2 other people that might benefit.

simple_john
09-16-2005, 04:27 PM
thats about 200$ less that to buy one from a medical supply place... :congrats:

Mickey
09-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Joe, if you're serious about building one of these in near future. It took 2 lengths of pipe & had about half a length left over. The width is 6" between fittings which provide enough space for a hand to grip without having the fittings interfere. As can be seen I twisted one of the feet so as to min possibility of having it interfere with a foot or wheel on a chair.

Good luck and bless you for caring for someone that isn't able to do so by themselves.

If this helps you and others, this post has served my intent.

Mark / Ohio
09-17-2005, 12:37 AM
That's a good idea Mickey. I may build one of them for my dad. Heck, I could of used it myself a couple of times this last year with my back. Getting out of bed holding a cain is not too stable.

simple_john
09-17-2005, 07:52 AM
maybe we should make one and send it to drbailey... for next time he falls off the truck:fing20: ROF

Bountyhunter
01-23-2006, 06:56 PM
You could also make one without the base that slips under the mattress at the foot end of the bed.

You coul put an short extended piece facing toward the head end so that it holds the sheets and covers off of the feet and reduces the chance that an older person might get thier feet wound up by the sheets when they get out of bed.

Bountyhunter

BrianM1a
01-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Get it patented before some else does

Bountyhunter
01-23-2006, 08:37 PM
BrianM1a:

Both setups already exist in the commercial market as well as a screw jack style pole that you can set up next to the bed for getting up.

I take care of my dementia afflicted 86 year old mother so I am always looking for things to make her life easier which in turn makes it easier on me.

Bountyhunter

mla2ofus
01-23-2006, 09:06 PM
That's a wonderful idea,Mickey. I'm sure it will help a lot of elderly parents and their adult children.
Mike

Mower_Man42
06-17-2006, 03:43 PM
You could also make one without the base that slips under the mattress at the foot end of the bed.

You could put an short extended piece facing toward the head end so that it holds the sheets and covers off of the feet and reduces the chance that an older person might get thier feet wound up by the sheets when they get out of bed.

Bountyhunter

I made one for my mothers bed and used a heat gun. I heated the PVC tubing and bent the tubing into 90 degree bends to hold the sheet and blanket up off of her feet. Six 90 degree bends is all you need, make sure the ends going under the mattress are long, the blanket add a lot of weight.