"Secret" answers to "Will this snow thrower fit my Sears/Craftsman Tractor! [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: "Secret" answers to "Will this snow thrower fit my Sears/Craftsman Tractor!

Leo K
11-21-2009, 10:34 AM
This thread is in response to a multitude of questions you find when you Google the question of which Sears snow thrower attachment fits on which Sears tractor. Here is some information that has been virtually held a “Secret”.I hope this will be helpful if you decide to adapt a used snow thrower to your current Craftsman tractor. This thread could be really great if others would simply list their tractor’s model and first 6 digits of their serial number along with the model of the snow thrower that they have actually fitted and works on their machine. Just a thought.

-The first 6 numerals of your tractor Serial number give the Month/day/year of Manufacture.

-There is a sticker attached under your hood that tells you the part number of ALL the attachments that originally fit on your tractor.

-You can find a multitude of information (View videos and download free manuals too) at Sears.com, but you really have to dig for the info. It could be a lot more user friendly.

- Surprise, surprise, the compatibility chart will tell you if the current Sears thrower will fit your tractor, but doesn’t help you tell if previous snow throwers will fit.

-The new Model 24838 42” thrower is designed to work on the newer, lower h.p. Lawn Tractors, but with a $50 kit can be adapted to the Garden Tractors. That is a good business decision, but if you have a GT you may wish to have the more heavy duty 46” model and it is no longer made.

-If the model number of your snow thrower is 486. 24839 (only fits Lawn tractors) or 486.2486 ( 46”only fits Garden Tractors) you have a thrower made by Agrifab during a transition time (about 2002-2005) where Sears ordered newer, lighter throwers that were proprietary. Their first three numerals were 486, not 917 and they were made to fit specific years and tractors. These are great throwers, but are not a universal fit.

-In the late 90’s Sears ordered two stage snow throwers that were dual stage, but they were super heavy duty and bogged down tractors with less than 20 h.p., that’s why the new generation of lighter (plastic??) had to be developed.

I currently run an old fashioned single stage Sears thrower on my standard shift 2001 Sears GT with a 20 h.p. Kohler. It’s been wonderful and I plan to pass it on to my Son, but since Sears has discontinued most parts for it, I just bought a 46” dual stage 486.2486 thrower used. It will fit my GT5000, auto shift which was made in 2003, and should be able to fully utilize it’s 25 h.p. to throw some serious snow. We will see!

I also run a vintage M68 John Deere riding lawn mower to get the spots my 50” mower deck gets cramped in.

In the end: You still need to do your homework. You may have to physically try to fit the parts right on your tractor before you put out the money for a used thrower. Good Luck!

MY FYN 79
11-24-2009, 08:32 PM
This has some great information.

Any one else care to add?

eveled
11-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Now that is some good info to have, Thanks Ed

MY FYN 79
12-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Just to keep this going, heres my 917.255970 tractor with a 486.248460 blower. Direct fit.

http://www.motortopia.com/files/81/album_atv_stuff/4b1c85ba4dbce/GT6000_Large.jpg

The way the forecast is looking, I'll know if this big blower bogs down the 18HP Briggs before the end of the week.

MY FYN 79
02-15-2010, 07:59 AM
We had a good start here and I'd like to see this post keep going because it sure is a confusing topic.

Heres a couple pictures I'd like to share and have a question about-

http://www.motortopia.com/files/81/album_atv_stuff/4b7935845d9b2/HEAVY46blower.jpg

http://www.motortopia.com/files/81/album_atv_stuff/4b7935869a2f1/HEAVY46blower2.jpg

This blower is "said" to fit GT6000/GT5000s. Is this the blower referred to above that was built very heavy and bogged smaller engine tractors? It looks to be a Berco rather than an Agri Fab. Does any one have experience with this blower?

Also, share away with any other blower pictures/numbers that can help us put this big puzzle together!!

69l46vert
02-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Can't really help but I believe the "842" means it was built by Haban?

ggsteve
02-15-2010, 08:31 AM
That could be an older Berco, but I agree, the chute looks like a Haban. I made very minor modifications to my Berco Northeast 44" snowthrower to make it fit my AYP-made Craftsmans. This thrower is very heavy and I wouldn't try it on a tractor without a lot of torque. He are the part numbers that I can add for my Berco blower and the two tractors I used it on:

Sears Part #s
'07 Craftsman DYS 4500 24hp, Model # 917.28726 and
'08 Craftsman Pro 24hp Yard Tractor, Model # 917.28870

Bercomac Part #s
Berco subframe (the part that connects to the tractor) Model # 700382
Berco Northeast blower drive unit Model # 700384 or
Berco Compact blower drive unit Model # 700383

Here's mine:
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt236/ggsteve/Tractorwithblower.jpg

ohiohayboy
02-15-2010, 09:32 AM
We had a good start here and I'd like to see this post keep going because it sure is a confusing topic.

Heres a couple pictures I'd like to share and have a question about-

http://www.motortopia.com/files/81/album_atv_stuff/4b7935845d9b2/HEAVY46blower.jpg

http://www.motortopia.com/files/81/album_atv_stuff/4b7935869a2f1/HEAVY46blower2.jpg

This blower is "said" to fit GT6000/GT5000s. Is this the blower referred to above that was built very heavy and bogged smaller engine tractors? It looks to be a Berco rather than an Agri Fab. Does any one have experience with this blower?

Also, share away with any other blower pictures/numbers that can help us put this big puzzle together!!

you blower was made by Haban Mfg out of Wisconsin which isn't around anymore. yes that is the heavy blower that is referred above.if you go to searspartdirect .com put in 842.242560 for a model number and you will be able to get a part list. it sure be a 1998 or 1999 model year.

Charles Murphy
02-15-2010, 09:54 AM
I have the manual with the parts list to this blower if anyone needs it.

eva1379@verizon.net

dmj245
02-24-2010, 02:24 AM
Here's my question and possible problem - I purchased a Craftsman (Husqvarna) PTY 9000 24 H.P., 42" deck yard tractor Model 28970 summer of 2009.

Now the winter of 2010, I want to put on a 2-stage snow thrower tractor attachment. Not wanting to spend the $1,100 for the blower that is supposed to fit my model tractor, I happened to come across a very nice Craftsman 46" 2 stage tractor attachment (Model # 486.248460) that was a couple of years old but NEVER attached to any machine and used.

The price was right, at better than half off, so I bought it. Of course trying to find out what tractors fit what snow throwers is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

My concern is that - one, it won't line up and properly fit my machine. And - two, I'll have to try to retro-fit it to make it work if that's possible? Had I found this web site before I bought it I might have held off.

At any rate now that I have it, I'd like to try and get it to work. Any suggestions on what might be the best course of action in this matter? Anybody having any experience with this, I'm interested to hear your ideas.

Please respond here and to my e-mail address at:
dmj245@aol.com

earth
02-24-2010, 08:15 AM
One more secret. You can call AgriFab, since they have made a lot of the Sears/Craftsman snowblower attachments for nearly 10 years. If you can provide them with the model of your tractor and the snowblower, they can tell you if it will work, and they will sell you the kit to mount and operate the blower. The kit price will be aprox 1/2 the cost you would pay if you purchased the same kit from Sears. I did this on one tractor and snowblower, so I am willing to validate this to be true, at least with my setup.

ggsteve
02-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Here's my question and possible problem - I purchased a Craftsman (Husqvarna) PTY 9000 24 H.P., 42" deck yard tractor Model 28970 summer of 2009.

Now the winter of 2010, I want to put on a 2-stage snow thrower tractor attachment. Not wanting to spend the $1,100 for the blower that is supposed to fit my model tractor, I happened to come across a very nice Craftsman 46" 2 stage tractor attachment (Model # 486.248460) that was a couple of years old but NEVER attached to any machine and used.

The price was right, at better than half off, so I bought it. Of course trying to find out what tractors fit what snow throwers is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

My concern is that - one, it won't line up and properly fit my machine. And - two, I'll have to try to retro-fit it to make it work if that's possible? Had I found this web site before I bought it I might have held off.

At any rate now that I have it, I'd like to try and get it to work. Any suggestions on what might be the best course of action in this matter? Anybody having any experience with this, I'm interested to hear your ideas.

Please respond here and to my e-mail address at:
dmj245@aol.com

I would think that you ought to be able to get that blower to fit with minor modifications. How do the front frame brackets line up? Do there seem to be matching bolt holes on the frame and brackets? Does the drive unit fit up underneath the tractor? I think that drive unit used to mount to the outside of the frame and now it bolts inside, or vice versa. Either way, a little bending might do the trick. When I mounted m Berco blower the biggest problem I had was that the front bracket blocked my oil drain port, so I had to cut a little piece away. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.:MTF_wel:

dmj245
02-24-2010, 07:57 PM
One more secret. You can call AgriFab, since they have made a lot of the Sears/Craftsman snowblower attachments for nearly 10 years. If you can provide them with the model of your tractor and the snowblower, they can tell you if it will work, and they will sell you the kit to mount and operate the blower. The kit price will be aprox 1/2 the cost you would pay if you purchased the same kit from Sears. I did this on one tractor and snowblower, so I am willing to validate this to be true, at least with my setup.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm going to work on it this coming Saturday, and I should know where I stand. I'll post my success along the way. Oh, by the way I have the complete manual for both my PTY 9000 and this snowthrower if anyone needs it. (I'm at work right now and don't have the snowthrower information with me, but will post the model number for the manual when I get home later tonight.)

05-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Saw this listed locally:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/grd/1679273615.html

It says it's a Haban 24579 42" and will fit Craftsman brand tractors. I have a 917.273080 GT 3000 I believe. I have read above about the Craftsman brand throwers, but I am curious if this Haban might be compatible. It seems like it was designed for an older model, but I am still curious.

dmj245
05-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Saw this listed locally:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/grd/1679273615.html

It says it's a Haban 24579 42" and will fit Craftsman brand tractors. I have a 917.273080 GT 3000 I believe. I have read above about the Craftsman brand throwers, but I am curious if this Haban might be compatible. It seems like it was designed for an older model, but I am still curious.

It looks like the thrower that I bought, I can't be sure. Mine sold new for $1,400, and I picked it up, never used, off a guy in southwestern Pennsylvania for $500.

I do know that it's very heavy duty compaired to the newer model that replaced it, which is what is being sold now by Sears for around $1,200. I also found out, that it will not fit my Craftsman PYT 9000 without a lot of modifications.

I have an older (19 years) 17 h.p. Wizard tractor (Montgomery Wards store) that it will fit with some minor nut & bolt modifications so this summer I'm going to drop the Wizards cutting deck amd permanetly mount the snow thrower to the Wizard.

I decided not to start tearing my new tractor (PYT 9000) apart for fear that I might not get it back together right, and besides if I mount it on the Wizard I can just leave it attached all year and not have to hassel with change-out every other season. Another reason was the frame on my newer tractor seemed "lighter" than the heavy frame on the older Wizard. I was concerned with damaging my 9000's frame. The snow thrower I bought as I said is very heavy duty, and that means very heavy in weight too.

Also it has six cutting blades on the front. Three on each side. The newer one I think only has three blades across the whole front.

I was told by the man who sold it to me that he hooked it up and ran it in his garage on his tractor just to see if it worked. He described it as a "real beast" extremely powerful. I can't wait till the snow comes around. I'll be ready this time!

I hope this was helpful, if you need anything else let me know.

Denny

diesel gt/11
05-06-2010, 04:50 PM
I think that a my custom gt/11 with the yanmar l70 has enought torque to make up for its 10hp

05-07-2010, 11:24 AM
It looks like the thrower that I bought, I can't be sure. Mine sold new for $1,400, and I picked it up, never used, off a guy in southwestern Pennsylvania for $500.

I do know that it's very heavy duty compaired to the newer model that replaced it, which is what is being sold now by Sears for around $1,200. I also found out, that it will not fit my Craftsman PYT 9000 without a lot of modifications.

I have an older (19 years) 17 h.p. Wizard tractor (Montgomery Wards store) that it will fit with some minor nut & bolt modifications so this summer I'm going to drop the Wizards cutting deck amd permanetly mount the snow thrower to the Wizard.

I decided not to start tearing my new tractor (PYT 9000) apart for fear that I might not get it back together right, and besides if I mount it on the Wizard I can just leave it attached all year and not have to hassel with change-out every other season. Another reason was the frame on my newer tractor seemed "lighter" than the heavy frame on the older Wizard. I was concerned with damaging my 9000's frame. The snow thrower I bought as I said is very heavy duty, and that means very heavy in weight too.

Also it has six cutting blades on the front. Three on each side. The newer one I think only has three blades across the whole front.

I was told by the man who sold it to me that he hooked it up and ran it in his garage on his tractor just to see if it worked. He described it as a "real beast" extremely powerful. I can't wait till the snow comes around. I'll be ready this time!

I hope this was helpful, if you need anything else let me know.

Denny

Thanks, this is helpful. I've been thinking of buying a second tractor for snow removal. It's not like I won't have room for it. I may have a hard time selling the wife on the idea though. Looks like the one I linked to already sold. No biggie, I'm not in a hurry.

05-07-2010, 01:23 PM
I found a snowblower attachment 486.248462 for sale. I called Agri-Fab and they said it won't fit my 917.273080. They said the only one that would fit is the "24838" with the adapter kit. While I know that is the only model sold new that will fit, I thought the 486.248460 and the 486.248462 were close enough that it would work.

The 486.248462 attachment was bought with a 917.275023 and worked fine. From some of the old fitup charts I think it'll work with my GT.

Any thoughts? Is the woman I spoke to at Agri-Fab wrong?

Thanks,
Mike

dmj245
05-09-2010, 08:54 PM
I found a snowblower attachment 486.248462 for sale. I called Agri-Fab and they said it won't fit my 917.273080. They said the only one that would fit is the "24838" with the adapter kit. While I know that is the only model sold new that will fit, I thought the 486.248460 and the 486.248462 were close enough that it would work.

The 486.248462 attachment was bought with a 917.275023 and worked fine. From some of the old fitup charts I think it'll work with my GT.

Any thoughts? Is the woman I spoke to at Agri-Fab wrong?

Thanks,
Mike

I'm 90% sure that the one I have is the older version of what Sears is selling now, and yes it was made by Agri-Fab for Sears a few years back. Some one told me the reason they changed from the heavy duty to the lighter duty model was to cut out weight and make it more manageable. I guess some people were complaining about having trouble with it when they used it.

I know of several locals around here who bought the one that Sears is selling now, the lighter version, and they're very pleased with it. Also the one that Sears is selling now will fit most, if not all of the newer Sear lawn tractors.

Of course I have $500 sunk into this one, sooooooo you can bet I'm going to find a way to make it work. Even if I have to modify one of my old tractors to get it done :thThumbsU

Good Luck
Denny

05-10-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm 90% sure that the one I have is the older version of what Sears is selling now, and yes it was made by Agri-Fab for Sears a few years back. Some one told me the reason they changed from the heavy duty to the lighter duty model was to cut out weight and make it more manageable. I guess some people were complaining about having trouble with it when they used it.

I know of several locals around here who bought the one that Sears is selling now, the lighter version, and they're very pleased with it. Also the one that Sears is selling now will fit most, if not all of the newer Sear lawn tractors.

Of course I have $500 sunk into this one, sooooooo you can bet I'm going to find a way to make it work. Even if I have to modify one of my old tractors to get it done :thThumbsU

Good Luck
Denny

I kind like the idea of the larger heavier model. It is 46 x 22 and the newer lighter one is 42 x 20. That is 180 sq inches larger opening. Sounds like it will make for quicker work. I'm looking at clearing a 800-900 ft driveway so quicker is better. I passed on this 248462 model because I need to be sure before I invest that money. I'm not nearly as skilled as some of the folks that frequent MTF. I've been really impressed with the talent level around here.

The old fit up charts say 24846 as the correct snow blower for my tractor (917.273080). The new charts say 24838. I know they discontinued the older/larger model. My thing is: does this mean the only older model that will work is a 248460? What about a 248462, or 248463 (like the one I passed on)? The 5 digit model number on the chart confuses me since they are actually 6 digit numbers on the items themselves.

Thanks again guys,
Mike

diesel_nut
05-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Now all need is a Sears tractor :)

LadyIanna
05-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Found this thread after I posted my question in the other forum sections...

Craftsman forum, MTD forum and the attachment forum.

So I guess I'll cross post it here too... can't hurt.

:fing20: MTD snow thrower on Craftsman yard tractor?
Hi -

I have a Craftsman DYT4000 yard tractor, and saw a MTD snow thrower attachment for sale in someone's yard. Unfortunately, I did not get the model number off it.

I'm wondering if it will fit onto my DYT4000. They are selling it for $75 which is a good deal considering most new snow thrower attachments are $1000 and up.

Does anyone have any suggestions, advice or thoughts about multi brand compatibility?

I need to make a decision soon, as it may just "vanish" on me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Lady Ianna

***I'm cross posting this on the Craftsman, MTD, and attachments forums.

lobsterbox
06-09-2010, 03:16 AM
nice looking snow rig MY FYN 79! My dad's 20hp LT2000 has been running the sears 40" dual stage for 5 years now and it has been wonderful.

sam8861
06-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Hey folks,

Seem like some experts here on snow blowers. Anyone know much about Model 842.240660?

I think it's a 93 model made by haban, but don't know if it will fit my new Dixon GT.. (same as Craftsman GT5000 from what I understand)

Any help appreciated.

bbartilson
12-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Thread is two years old, but I'm curious as to how the 18 horse motor faired against the big snow blower. Did it bog the thing down, or work fabulously?

Regards,
Bill

12-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Thread is two years old, but I'm curious as to how the 18 horse motor faired against the big snow blower. Did it bog the thing down, or work fabulously?

Regards,
Bill

Not sure, but generally I've read for blowers they recommend 20+ hp if you can. 18 is close, so I guess it would depend on the specific tractor and blower.

Fleadog
08-04-2014, 09:16 PM
this is a good thread!

I am interested in fitting an older style 46" thrower part # 486.24846 to my 2012 GT 6000 (917.28861) garden tractor.

I like that these are the older, heavier, wider throwers (versus current 42".)

Now, the fitup guide for my year lists thrower part #24837.