Reasons to or not to purchase a new Craftsman GT 5000 [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Reasons to or not to purchase a new Craftsman GT 5000

Danco
11-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Newbie confused about purchasing a new Craftsman GT 5000 or a used JD 300 Series. My needs are primarily garden work, lawn care and snow plowing.
I will outfit either machine with a Johnny Bucket/Plow system. Also, I would use a small box blade to maintain 150 foot gravel driveway.
All comments are welcome.

Mouse
11-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Yes I have plenty to say on the subject.....buy a old used tractor, one that is built to last a life time, not a few years! Right now cash is king, on Ebay nobody seems to be buying, a good oppurinty to buy CHEEP! If you can not repair tractors or feel it's too much trouble, buy a new tractor, sooner or later you'll wind up fixin it. I'm just saying for the money, old tractors can't be beat!
Mouse

D-Dogg
11-11-2009, 05:54 PM
With a new GT5000, you would have a warranty - even an extended one if you like.

You would be able to get all your parts and attachments at one place.

You would not need to worry about service, because every mower shop knows Briggs and Kohler (and Honda more and more). Not everybody knows Onan, Yanmar, or kawasaki.

You will use a Johnny Bucket/Plow Jr. on a GT5000 versus the JBSr. on a JD300 series.

You will spend as much or more on a GT5000 fully equipped than you would on a classic GT.

You can use a box blade. You just can't put 500lbs weight on it.

You will want to upgrade your tires (possibly even tube and fill them), buy chains and weights, just like you would with any GT.

I like Sears, and started with a Craftsman. I overused it - that's why it died.

I think for a person on a budget, with no ambition to spend Friday evening and half of Saturday troubleshooting and repairing a problem, they are a perfect fit.

I know in the other sub-forum, I advocated one route for you. I'm just trying to give you the pros of this route.

Don B.
11-11-2009, 09:20 PM
DON'T DO IT! especially on sears charge. they have always been the highest %age of anyone. Buy an older one, even if you gotta rebuild it; you will be hpappier with the result; and that rebuilt old one will still be running after that new one youre looking at, is part of a Toyota.

earth
11-11-2009, 10:18 PM
I started out with a new DGS 6500 in Oct of 2007. I felt fortunate to sell it in Oct 2008. I now use a 1977 Sears 16/6 with a twin 16HP Onan with a FEL and a 1966 Sears Suburban with a snowblower, mowing deck, tiller, front plow, rear scraper blade, mold board plow, cultivator, disc harrow, sickle bar mower and more. These 2 tractors and attachments outperform anything you can buy at Sears today. And I can't overstate this ..... they seriously outperform the new stuff and they do it at 1/2 the purchase price.

Mrwiggles2
11-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Buy used. I owned my first new tractor in 2002, my second tractor was an upgrade and also new in 2004. I sold that for a 20 year old Wheel Horse and won't go back. Old iron is where it's at. I work on the tractor with limited mechanical accumen, everything is easy to repair. I've learned a lot in the past 7 years... Thanks to MTF.

gburnett
11-12-2009, 02:53 AM
As said before there are some rock bottom prices out there on some top quality garden tractors now.You have all Winter to find one.Maybe you'll hit a deal like I did last Dec just before Christmas at an auction.A Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar with 48" deck,differential lock, hi/low rear,hydraulics,power steering,hydro trans that needed an engine for $50.At the same auction I bought a Craftsman with a good running engine for around $100 that the engine went right into the Sunstar.The Sunstar is a top quality machine that will way outlast any new Craftsman.

skyrydr2
11-12-2009, 05:42 AM
If you look at how they are built, you would get up and run the otherway!
They are not even close to anything even built in the 80's nevermind earlier.

If you want to plow and do yard work, and possibly start a garden? Then find an older unit with all the goodies! PA is the capitol of great garden tractors!!

HiPocket
11-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Lot of good points made. Depends on your mechanical apptitude and time frame.

If there are a lot of old gt's in your market like skyryd2 is saying, then start looking. In my part they get scooped up fast as the supply is pretty thin.

gburnett
11-12-2009, 07:46 AM
LOts of Garden tractors sold every month at auctions in PA and MD I go there all the time.Simplicity or AC 7100/900 series would fit the bill for what you want.See them sell often with deck for $350-$500 and front blades for these are common going for $50-$100.If you want to spend a little more I have a Ford 165 LGT with mower deck,3pt hitch and rebuilt 16HP Kohler engine for $800 looks good and operates fine.Also has a 2 speed rear,hydro trans and hydraulic lift.I'm 150 miles South of Gettysburg PA

amf1414
11-12-2009, 08:46 PM
reason to buy the sears: price the sears is more pocket friendly.
reason not to buy the sears: quality they are cheaply built and wont handle what you want to do very well.
the jd is a better machine in my opinion but still probably not enough trctor for your plans i would suggest looking into an x700 series as they are built better and are able to handle more use/abuse than the others a good rule to go by is to list all your current needs and any future things you may want to use it for and then step up to the next higher model if finances will allow it. other things to consider that affect your final decision are how much land do you have, how many trees/obstacles are there in the mowing area, how much snow do you get in an average year, how long is your driveway, will you be using a blower or a blade, a blade requires a much stronger driveline and frame than a snowblower does, will you be using it for ground engaging things like a plow or tiller either now or in the future. the list can go on but i think you get the idea. and keep in mind that this is just my 2 cents worth.

music-in-a-bottle
11-12-2009, 08:55 PM
DON'T DO IT! especially on sears charge. they have always been the highest %age of anyone. Buy an older one, even if you gotta rebuild it; you will be hpappier with the result; and that rebuilt old one will still be running after that new one youre looking at, is part of a Toyota.

Or a chevy or Ford!

music-in-a-bottle
11-12-2009, 08:59 PM
If you look at how they are built, you would get up and run the otherway!
They are not even close to anything even built in the 80's nevermind earlier.

If you want to plow and do yard work, and possibly start a garden? Then find an older unit with all the goodies! PA is the capitol of great garden tractors!!

My 1982 John Deere 316 has a frame stronger than a 3/4 ford pickup. Still runs as well as the day we bought it! The newer equipment really is becoming crap for what you pay for it.

ClassicMotion
11-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Go with the Deere for the following reasons:

1) More bang for your buck: Craftsman has an aluminum transaxle whether it's stick or hydro. The JD will have cast iron unit which can tow more and push more snow.

2) The Deere has a frame made of beefy L channel and a solid front axle

3) 300 series Deeres will have either a K series Kohler single or an Onan Twin. Both engine produce more torque than a similar hp modern engine. The Onan will be salty to repair if/when it needs to be fixed, but are stout and reliable engines. Kohler K's are torque monster singles and are friendly on gas, very reliable, and relatively inexpensive to repair.

4) Weight - A 300 series will weigh easile twise what a Craftsman GT weighs. Weight = traction.

5) If the Deere is hydrostatic, it's hydro system is FAR superior to any Craftsman tractor. The Deere has more options that are compatable with their hydro system.

Basically, if you want a GT that will last you the rest of your life, it's not sold at a big box store. Go with a Case-Ingersoll, International Cub Cadet, 200/300/400 series John Deere, MF. All are popular tractors; Parts won't be impossible to find. And all are very capable pieces of equipment that can handle anything a garden tractor is meant to do.

Pretty much: These tractors are the kind that you may want to replace down the road... But you'll never need to.

craftsmantractortech
11-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Right now I would not buy anything new.The engines are not lasting. Briggs are breaking left and right. And kohler are having alot of heat related issues. I would wait for the next generation fuel injected motor. the should hit the residential market in the next year or so. I would buy an older unit at at least 8 yrs or so.....just my opinion

Rick

Heavy Hitch
11-12-2009, 10:18 PM
If you have any mechanical appitude at all, I would go with the used Deere. it will do twice the work the Craftsman could even think of and the re-sale will be much higher if you decide it won't work for you. If you don't like to tinker and expect it to operate like a "brand new" machine then buy the Craftsman. Part of owning a "vintage" tractor is the joy in tinkering with it and growing accustomed to it's "quirks"!

c1tobor
11-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Right now I would not buy anything new.The engines are not lasting. Briggs are breaking left and right. And kohler are having alot of heat related issues. I would wait for the next generation fuel injected motor. the should hit the residential market in the next year or so. I would buy an older unit at at least 8 yrs or so.....just my opinion

Rick

I am a newbie to any kind of tractor...lawn/garden/military. I just wonder if "left and right" is a good indicator of an engines quality. As a craftsman tech, I'm sure you see the horrors of the modern "common sense" rule.

Will an 8yr. old mistreated engine last longer than a new "maintained" engine?

Took a "small engines" class in high school class(MMCCVXXII)...and about took a **** when the **** thing started with us knuckle-heads operating on it.

I have a LA135 that I care for as deeply as a man can care for a machine.
(I know I need help,...or more land/tractor)

I will use that 135, nurturing it with oil,filters,grease and all the attachments a little LT could ever want. The important thing is when it self destructs @75 hrs. I'll know I was not to blame.

Shame on Craftsman for putting those crappy B/S engines in those machines that require a "manuel" for a citizen to operate.

JMO.........(well...not really, more of a rant that one cannot buy,vote,eat, or trust anything/one anymore.) :hide:

D-Dogg
11-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Hey guys, I just wanted to mention we're getting a little close to brand bashing in the Craftsman forum. We all know how the classic GT crowd are going to feel, but we certainly don't intend to offend anyone who does run a modern Craftsman.

johndeere
11-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Hey guys, I just wanted to mention we're getting a little close to brand bashing in the Craftsman forum. We all know how the classic GT crowd are going to feel, but we certainly don't intend to offend anyone who does run a modern Craftsman.

''A little close'':sidelaugh Now that funny:hide:

ggsteve
11-13-2009, 05:42 PM
I have both a new Craftsman Pro LT and a vintage JD 316K 30 years it's senior. Ignoring the fact that I'm on my third Craftsman to get one that is reliable, the Craftsman starts and serves me well every day. I am still working on my JD, it has had a number of issues since I bought it in March, though I am sure that once I get it running well it will be a sturdy workhorse. My point is, at least for now, the new Craftsman with the thin frame and Briggs engine is my goto machine.

davidg
11-13-2009, 05:53 PM
if you need to use the bucket or a back blade then the X300 is out, it is a LAWN tractor not a Garden tractor.

for the price of a new Craftsman you cna buy an older heavy duty GT. all depends on whether you want new or old, some folks want a warranty and some folks want a tough, quality machine. for a price you can get both, but in this price range you choose one or the other. don't get me wrong, the Craftsman GTs are made stout for a low end machine, but they are NOT like the older Craftsmans that many folks on here have.