un plugging a toilet (again!!!) [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: un plugging a toilet (again!!!)

dirtybernie
09-12-2005, 12:13 PM
a guest over the weekend left the bathroom door unlocked and guess what! theres something in the toilet but plunging wont loosen it up. ive tried a snake but maybe its really flimsy and doesnt seem to do any thing. do any of you have any suggestions before i have to pull the toilet? and people wonder why i drink!!! :bonk:

Durwood
09-12-2005, 12:20 PM
I had someone try to flush a small plastic cup down mine once and the only solution was pulling it up and reaching down from the backside and pulling it out.

Dur

Olds455
09-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Have you ever tried one of those compressed air plungers? From what I've seen, those things should blow out a horse stuck in a toilet! :14_6_5:

bontai Joe
09-12-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm guessing that you have one of the new 1.something gallon flush toilets? Some of them won't flush a six year old kid's turd down without plugging (like the one in my house) I've had the best luck using an old fashoined plunger, but instead of trying to force it down, use it to try to suck the plug back up. The action is to slowly push it down and give a good quick yank towards you. Sometimes trying to force it down just makes the plug tighter.

jodyand
09-12-2005, 01:06 PM
A Toilet auger best thing for stopped up toilets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jodyand/untitled.jpg

HydroHarold
09-12-2005, 10:48 PM
Now don't poo poo this, but also make sure your vent pipe(s) are clear. In case you are not plumberly inclined they're the small pipes sticking out of the roof. A plug in one of these can invite a cross-turdity or feminine hypertissuism situation. The new "Congressionally Challenged Flush Toilets" require absolutely clear vents. Sounds like your clog is somewhere past the toilet trap itself in this case. And if it's past where the vent intersects the main drain you'll need a snake long enough to reach past that point from the roof.

Raggedy Ann doll caused the problem for my first day in this house! I guess she just couldn't take it anymore pulled the handle and jumped in... Hundred and fifty clams for Rooter guy on day two! Talk about "venting"! :D

dirtybernie
09-12-2005, 11:14 PM
thanks for the advice guys but it has to come up again. i played around for awhile and it would partialy flush then stop again so in the am i'm going to buy a new wax ring some crown royal and a few beers! i just went through this the day after christmas. it seems ariel decided she liked water again and found my toilet! the toy was small enough to get in the trap but not through it. we ended up heating a long screw driver red hot and after lots of tries we melted the toy in half! i can only imagine what i will find tomorrow. BTW would any of you like some FREE kids! ROF

Michael
09-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Bernie, If its your kids, so sorry their yours :bonk: If they are fur babies or the bow wow type whatcha got:bannana:, I learned to keep the bathrooms closed at my place when I accidently left the door open and watched my springer go in with a rope toy and plop the toy in the toilet and then try and grab it out.

I soon learned with a fur baby to make sure the door is closed....:fing20:

Keweenaw4310
09-13-2005, 09:36 AM
My solution to the 1.6 gallon flushers was to buy this toilet and modify it..

Eljer - Berkeley link (http://www.eljer.com/Products/Toilet/Photo/0811590_lg.jpg)

Inside the tank was an inner plastic gate about the size of a coffee can or a little bigger. Lots of water in the tank around it but only the inside of this plastic *** would dump into the toilet when flushing.
Took some cutters and cut the **** *** apart. Now the entire tank - probably 6 gallons goes into the flush.

Works great!

Artpb
09-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Best 1.6 toilet and at a resonable cost. design does makea difference

http://www.totousa.com/consumer_landing.asp

Mickey
09-13-2005, 10:47 AM
a guest over the weekend left the bathroom door unlocked and guess what! theres something in the toilet but plunging wont loosen it up. :bonk:
Don't know if it is too early or you've already had that drink but I'm not getting it. Did you see the guest drop something into the Toilet?

If you are saying something has been put into the toilet that doesn't belong there, I think the best thing to do it pull the stool and fish it out. No need to take a chance that some other object could lead to BIGGER troubles down the line so to speak. Lateral line don't have very much sloop to them and they relay on solids to fload along with the water. A sizable object that doesn't float could lead to a much bigger problem.

I've been generally satisified with my American Standard stool. Fairly large dia flow path and water tank hold a lot more than the 1.6 gal. The tank valve closes with about half a tank remaining. If you hold the lever down the tank will complete flush. If I see the stool not flushing adequately, I just hold the handle down and it usually takes care of the job.

If money if not an object there are power flush models available. Looks like conventional models but there lays a pressure tank inside. When you flush, the water is force out under full water line pressure. This is somewhat like the action you see in commercial buildings with tankless stools.

USN_ED
09-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Just tape the toilet seat and lid down with "Duct Tape" and put a 5-gallon bucket in front of the toilet.

dirtybernie
09-13-2005, 11:28 AM
mickey. when the guest left the door unlocked one of my kids got in and put something in. sorry i wasnt more specific. i went and got the gasket so i'm off to work. it would be nice to have some sort of removable plate on the side or maybe some do by now. i'll catch you guy's later. bernie.

dirtybernie
09-14-2005, 09:25 AM
well yesterday was an interesting day! i ended up pulling the toilet and after some shaking around a tp covered toothbrush came out. no problem right? NOT!! i went to bolt the bowl down and the flange pulled up revealing a wet rotted floor. luckily i got ahold of some friends that know carpentry and we cut out the bad stuff and put down new wood. the tank to bowl gasket had a small leak that went unnoticed. so this weekends project is to finish the floor and put down new linoliem. gotta love owning a home! :fing20:

Ingersoll444
09-14-2005, 09:40 AM
lol

dont you LOVE that stuff?

Well realy a good thing it happand I guess. Got that fixed before it got worse.

dyt4000
09-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Projects always end up being like playing with dominos...LOL A floor repair? That requires more beer!!!!

dirtybernie
09-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Projects always end up being like playing with dominos...LOL A floor repair? That requires more beer!!!!
oh yea! i started off with a 12 pack but when things turned for the worse it quickley was gone. then when my buddies got there i bought a 30 pack (which we almost killed) and my wife made all of us a stuffed pork chop dinner. ROF

USN_ED
09-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Well, there is a bright side to this. Ya coulda been sitting on the crapper as it crashed through the rotten wood floor which would have really put a damper on things. ROF See, whichever kid put the toy in the toilet deserves an ice cream for "Safety Awarness". :fing20:

bontai Joe
09-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Talk about mission creep! Started out with a plugged up toilet, and finished of with a new wood floor and linoleum. :omg:

Byron R
09-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Talk about mission creep! Started out with a plugged up toilet, and finished of with a new wood floor and linoleum. :omg:
Joe that was his plan... :trink40: ..If he pulls it off ..It will be Great..New Floor sounds like a Kegger ... :fing32: .Br

LEOLAV
10-27-2005, 04:09 PM
I had that same thing happen 3 months ago. A "friend" clogged our toilet. Said "friend" didn't tell anyone. I tried everything!!! Nothing worked to get it unclogged.

I finally had a interesting idea. What about a Shop Vac. I went to our shed, got the vac hooked up and THUMP the chit hit the can (no pun intended!!!)

I bleached that bad boy to no end.