Brush hog blade removal [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Brush hog blade removal

Com12
11-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Trying to remove the heavy brush blade to put on the double blades.
I want to mulch some leafs and figured the double blades will do a better job.

I can't get the nut to budge, don't have socket big enough but I have very large adjustable. I wonder if it is right hand thread? Any techniques for removing the blade. My neighbor has impact wrench, but I will have to run the tractor down the street.

jrd
11-04-2009, 04:20 PM
I've used a big adjustable to get mine off. Right hand thread on my model 106. I stick a piece of two-by-four in the deck, between the blade and one of the skid mounts, then lean on the wrench.

Ingersoll444
11-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Some of them have reverse thred.

Bushbuck
11-04-2009, 04:53 PM
If You dont have an impact wrench, this is one of the best reasons I know to invest in an electric impact wrench. They are worth every penny if you dont have air..

BlownL67
11-04-2009, 05:10 PM
If You dont have an impact wrench, this is one of the best reasons I know to invest in an electric impact wrench. They are worth every penny if you dont have air..

True that! I've had this model for a good 5 years now and it has never let me down! People think that air is the only way but this baby is a torque monster! It may be a little bit of money to spent, but it is worth every penny!

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=8660

I also have this model too! Its nice a tool to keep in the truck (or car) in case you have a tire blowout or need to get to a remote location and need some torque. This has also served me well on junkyard runs too!

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=6347

krislu
11-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Trying to remove the heavy brush blade to put on the double blades.
I want to mulch some leafs and figured the double blades will do a better job.

I can't get the nut to budge, don't have socket big enough but I have very large adjustable. I wonder if it is right hand thread? Any techniques for removing the blade. My neighbor has impact wrench, but I will have to run the tractor down the street.

First of all what deck do you have? I wedge a 2x4 in and I stand on it and then lean on the wrench. I would recommend that you go to your neighbor's house and use the impact. And the cross blades do mulch very well. I use them all the time. - Kris :rauch10:

Fla Don
11-04-2009, 08:52 PM
First of all what deck do you have? I wedge a 2x4 in and I stand on it and then lean on the wrench. I would recommend that you go to your neighbor's house and use the impact. And the cross blades do mulch very well. I use them all the time. - Kris :rauch10:

I do it the old school way. With a Gravely nut wrench and either a pipe or a sledge hammer.

helixhippie
11-05-2009, 06:12 AM
36mm slugger wrenches were very common among VW collectors for both rear axle & flywheel nuts. Perfect fit on a 30" mower blade nut.
LINK (http://www.mofoco.com/item/EMPI_5748_VW_BUG_REAR_AXLE_NUT_REMOVAL_TOOL_WACKER _36MM/543/c89)

george_lehr
11-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Keep a lookout at swap meets and old iron shows for the vendors that sell old tools. I picked up two old Armstrong 1 & 7/16" box end slugging wrenches that way. They were $10.00 each.
George

Hindenburg
11-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Try a big pipe wrench on that nut if all else fails. Preferably use one with nice sharp teeth that'll grab the nut- make sure you get the jaws nice and tight before attempting to remove it. You won't chew up the nut unless you don't have it tight and it slips. Before you re-install it, use plenty of never-seize on the threads to enable future removal.

schmism
11-06-2009, 01:10 AM
HF 3/4 drive set and a 8' cheeter bar will get'rdone

eveled
11-06-2009, 06:25 AM
I had one that all of the above did not work on. I ended up grinding it very carefully down to the threads then I was able to crack it the rest of the way then it spun off. Richards sent me a new one. Ed

Fla Don
11-06-2009, 07:10 AM
I had one that all of the above did not work on. I ended up grinding it very carefully down to the threads then I was able to crack it the rest of the way then it spun off. Richards sent me a new one. Ed

I'll get killed for this but, about a year ago I had one that wouldn't release the nut at all. Ended up cutting the shaft off. I didn't feel too bad as Gravely had a special on the shaft kits at the time. $42.80 for the shaft and tanged washer and bought all 4 they had.

Hindenburg
11-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Better yet, heat the nut with a propane torch, get it nice and hot,tap it moderately hard on all sides with a hammer, heat again, spray some P-oil in there,even heat again but caution because oil MIGHT be flammable (not all is)then go at it with the wrench. It's gotta come off- patience and perseverence is the key here.

eveled
11-06-2009, 02:52 PM
It took 2 minutes to grind it off, new one was here in a week for under $10. I was worried I'd ruin the shaft or the seals with a torch. Figured I'd play it safe for once. Are you still working on it Comm12, or did you get it off? Ed