5000 Strong & Climbing
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Central MA on the NH border
Re: Would a fan dry my cut and split wood faster?
Guys, thanks for all the answers! Let me comment on a few of your excellent points:
1) Basements are cool and damp here in the summer. I run a dehumidifier in the summer months to prevent mildew, etc. down there, so I'm absorbing the electric cost anyway. Oh, I can't move the dehumidifier to the wood crib because it's positioned near the drain so I don't have to worry about emptying it every day.
2) I hadn't really thought of the humidity produced by the wood being a problem, I think our humid New England summer air contains way more water than a 1/2 cord of wood ever could. Also remember, in the winter our stuffy houses get way too dry!
3) I thought the wood would dry better out of the weather (outdoors), my misconception. How do you guys protect your stacks? My wife is not fond of blue tarps.
4) While we have termites here, carpenter ants are more of a problem. I've never had a problem storing wood in my "crib". There really isn't that much there. I only use it for the fire place and in emergencies like the ice storm last December. I'm too old to be hauling wood all the time.
5) Lastly, what are your thoughts on burning white pine indoors? I have cords of pine from the same ice storm that is cut, split and stacked (uncovered) for use in the outdoor fire pit. I have always heard it contains way too much creosote and will gum up the chimney. On the other hand, the farmer up the street takes all the free pine the tree guys will give him and he burns it constantly.
P.S. - Enjoying a fire right now, it's 46 degrees out this morning!
08 Craftsman Professional
24hp B&S ELS 42" deck
3 bin bagger Berco 44" blower & 48" blade OTC cab
68 JD 112H 47 deck 43 blade
69 JD 110H 37A blower 50 cart
71 JD 140H3 integral hitch 46" deck cozy cab
71 JD 140H1 80 Cart
72 JD 110 parts
78 JD 316K 49 blower
81 JD 317 Onan 54" 4-way blade weight box 46" deck
84 JD 214 39 deck 43 blade
86 JD 318 JB Sr. 3pt weight box
07 JD x748 48" deck 14 cuft powerflow bagger 47 snow thrower custom frame squeezer 3ph OTC cab
74 Concord (MTD) 990
12 cu. ft. poly cart, JD front dethatcher
, plug aerator, drop spreader, box blade, 10" bottom plow, sweeper
Last edited by ggsteve; 09-07-2009 at 07:46 AM.