Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: added winch to lift snowblower
The first winch failed due to melting. The muffler on the YTH2454 blows directly at the winch. The winch had plastic inserts, Berco fixed this problem by replacing winch with metal inserts. I also made a heat shield to protect the winch.
The second winch failed due to the motor failing, it worked well for the first season, but this season, I noticed it was not lifting blower at the same speed until it got warmer, finally it just stopped working. This was caused by stress as the cable is pulling to hard to raise the unit, making the motor work harder. Unfortunatley they havn't come up with a fix for that. However I did notice that the Champion winch that I use while waiting for the new winch from Berco, works much better, it seems to handle the extra stress.
Probably in the Spring I will look at setting it up a different way to limit the stress on the cable. I have replaced the cable a few times due to breakage.