My Tractor Forum banner

John Deere GT262 Drive Belt Issue

12K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  OhioAstromech 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am new here and would like to know if anyone could help me with an issue I am having with my first John Deere Garden Tractor.

This past week a purchased a 1993 GT262 and everything works great except when shifting gears.

A couple things I have noticed are:

1. In gears 1,2, and 3 it will run as normal.
2. The belt drops free from the axle pulley occasionally.
(It still has the wire that is supposed to retain the belt to the pulley but is slips past it.)
3. If I shift into higher gears it is slow to get going and if I turn or go up hill it rolls to a stop.(Usually because the belt slips off the pulley.)

I did not get a manual with my GT262 and I feel that my problem may be with a loose belt.

Would any of you be able to tell me what I may need to do to get this tractor running right?

If you think it may be something else please let me know.

Scot

See less See more
#4 ·
There should be three pullies on the drive belt; one at the crankshaft, one at the tranny, and a spring -loaded idler somewhere in between that maintains tension on the belt. Make sure the spring has a good bit of tension on it, sometimes they will get weak from rust, heat, or just age.

It's definitely a loose belt issue, either not enough tension or worn-out belt. The tranny puts enough load on it in the higher gears that it begins to slip. Do you ever smell burning rubber?. The pin that retains the belt on the trans pulley may be bent out or worn from friction with the belt. It also is bolted to the frame or tranny to permit removal for belt changes, it may have come loose.

Check the pulleys for wear. If the belt has been slipping for a long time, it will increase the wear on the pulley. The pulley may need replacement from being worn out, and even a new belt won't stay on.

#6 ·
Problem solved.
The EXTENSION SPRING was not hooked to the frame in the correct spot.
There is a tab that is is supposed to be hooked to but it was on the frame and not on this tab.
I pulled the spring back and put it into the correct place and now my GT262 pops wheelies.

It does squeal a little but I think this will go away with a little oil on the pulleys.
It hasn't been run since last September and I am sure this was the original issue with the tractor that caused the PO to trade it in.

Thanks guys for pointing me in the correct direction.

Scot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.