My Tractor Forum banner

Burned up my Kemp chipper, is Agway any good?

9K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  vassarroad 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got a Kemp Chipper shredder k4ch, And after about 2 hours of not continuous use burned out the main bearing on side in the shredder shaft. I know there don't make parts for these, How much do you think a machine shop could fix this for?

The rod looks like it was a little damaged , it got red-hot, so it might be toast.

I found an Agway, similar setup, does anyone know if they make parts for these? I found nothing on the internet except ones for sale, and that it might possibly be made by MTD. Here is the listing I found (please dont buy it out from under me if you want it, I really need it)

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/grd/842920979.html

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks - Matt

#2 ·
The one pictured is not one of agway's best IMO. They used to make chippers that utilized makissic(sp) hammer mills/chippers. These were very good units. My Ingersoll chipper is bascally the same type unit only hyraulically driven instead of a stand alone engine/belt.
The local agway near me actually had one of these older units on consighnment. I was very impressed with the quality.
the one your looking at can't be too bad for the $$ they're asking though. Try it out, maybe it'll work well, if not re-sell it.

MU

#3 ·
That is definitely an MTD based unit very much like the newer MTD/Yardman units, I agree with MU on the price, however durability is not great if you are looking for it for the long term.
I do not know if I am too far from you to make it possible, but I have an 8 hp Rotohoe tow behind chipper shredder for sale that is all metal and like new. PM me if you want more details.
Good luck in the search,
Dan

#4 ·
I found a machine shop that will replace both bearings on either side of the main shredder/chipper shaft for $100USD , does this sound reasonable??

It is a real wheel-n-deal place, I probably could talk them down if this seems like too much.

Thanks - Matt

#5 ·
Matt,
Is the bearing item #12 on page 7 in the manual? If it is that is a pillow block bearing. Is the machine shop just going to replace the bearing or are they going to replace the pillow block w/ the bearing? Are there set screws on the inside collar that hold the inner race to the shaft? Can you post a pic of it? Mine is at my father-in-laws or I would go out and take a look at it. If I get time I'll stop at his place and look at the bearing and see if I can figure how they are mounted...etc. I'll post back tomorrow if I find anything out that would help you. :trink39:

#7 ·
Matt,
I stopped at the farm today and looked at my FIL's Kemp. The only numbers I found on the pillow block bearings was P81 and P8100. I looked on the net but couldn't find any info on them. There are a lot of pillow block bearings out there. I agree with munderhill. As long as they are putting a good quality bearing on it, $100 for parts and labor isn't too bad. :trink39:

#8 ·
Seems like a very fair price to me for parts and labor. Bearings are like belts, they are not normally ordered by the original manufacturer to oddball specs. because that raises costs and limits alternate suppliers. Bearings, belts, shafts, hardware, hoses tend to be off the shelf stuff. The stuff that is usually hard to get is fabricated brackets, and tinwork.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, First Im going to see what price the machine shop can actually do it for, I have no experience replacing pillow type bearings, only electronics and a little engine work in the bearing area, plus don't really have the proper equipment for something like this.

The shaft mount piece that holds the rod assembly to the engine plate also got heated up pretty hot before I could shut it off, so Im not sure what the damage will be, might have cracked from the heat.

I leaving this one up to the pros, will let you know how it turns out and post some pix.

Thanks - Matt

#10 ·
Got the AGWAY!!!

Turns out the guy selling the agway chipper was really busy, and just returned my call after I sent him an email a month ago .

It is in BRAND NEW condition, but has been sitting in a barn with old gas in it for 2 years. It wasn't seized up luckily, and was running when they put it away.

From the craiglist pictures it looked old and like it had some heavy use on it, but it was just covered in barn dust and looks like it just came out of the box.

Hopefully I can do my bezene gastank tuneup method for the goodies I get from people who don't know about winterizing, and it get it running.

The machine shop for my Kemp said they want $200 now for both bearings, I might talk them down, go to another machine shop, or use grainer and learn something new.

I only have $120 invested in it, I might part it out but not sure yet, chipper blade is still sharp, most of the thrasher blades are still in one piece, and the motor runs great.

I will let yall know if I part it out, I'm planning on getting it fixed somehow and reselling, but don't want to put too much money into it, just looking to get back what i paid for it, but might need to make an investment to do that.

I also have a CR20 (I think) 6.5 hp Toro snowblower I will be selling soon, just professionally tuned, if anyone is close enough and needs one, I will put it in for sale as soon as I get it back and take some pix.

-Matt

#11 ·
Here are some pics of the Agway:

All I did was wash it, a lil degreaser, now to clean out that gas that has been in there for 2+ years.

I noticed it has two oil fill holes / checktubes , is one for the engine and the other for the chipper gears? I didn't think there was any gearing involved, haven't had time to find a manual.

$80 bucks aint too bad. - Matt

#12 ·
Nice looking Agway Matt. Replacing those pillow block bearings on the Kemp shouldn't be a big deal. Take off the two mounting bolts and loosen the set screw(s) in the locking collar on the bearing and the bearing should slide off the shaft. After you get the bearing off take some measurements. Critical dimensions are: width; mounting hole diameter; distance between mounting holes; distance from bearing mounting surface to centerline of bearing; and the bearing ID, (where the shaft goes through). I think the shaft diameter is 1" on that model. Here are some links for pillow block bearings. :goodl:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UID=2008110420002797&catname=powerTrans&keyword=PBPB
http://www.mcmaster.com/
http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml

#13 ·
Yeah, the Kemp is looking like more a project for me to tackle. With new bearings and a good paint job I think I should def be able to get my money back plus some for my time. Same model on ebay, same but running condition sold for $380, I just need to get this done and not sit on it too long before chipping season is over around here.

Thanks for the links, I'll have to get it back from the shop and maybe start on it this weekend, but I'm already suckered into reseeding my father's lawn, AND I want to get that agway running to make sure it will make a good replacement.

#14 ·
Got the Agway running like new, Half a can of SeaFoam Deep Creep was all it took.

I used the seafoam instead of Benzene to clean out the gas tank and lines, fresh gas and starter fluid and it was barely running, then the 1/2 can of seafoam down the carb.

Not quite as powerful as the Kemp, its 5hp and the Kemp is 4hp but geared better. The chipper blade is like new on it, looks a little surface rusty but cuts great. Now its time to tackle the Kemp, Im running out of room in my shed :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.