I had gotten some type of pesticide poisoning.
I don't mean to sound as if I'm doubting that you fell ill after eating farm stand produce because I'm sure you were. It is however extremely
unlikely that you would become that deathly ill from any pesticide just from eating the trace amount that would persist on a couple pieces of fresh produce.
The most plausible explanation based on your description of your illness is simply that you got food poisoning. Most likely Salmonella or E. coli which can both be transmitted by eating improperly handled fresh produce. This has nothing to do with any pesticides that may have been applied but rather has a much grosser, albeit organic cause, which is generally human or animal fecal contamination of the soil or irrigation water used to grow the crops. Either of these or a handful of other pathogens will make you ill, sometimes deathly so, and it is completely reasonable to believe you could contract it from eating produce from a farm stand.
I'm a licensed pesticide applicator and as a part of my job I have to teach a pesticide safety training class to anyone who comes in contact with the plants here at my lab. There are 2 distinct types of pesticide poisoning (A) single dose exposure and (B) cumulative exposure. For the overwhelming majority of all pesticides used in the US to make an otherwise healthy adult person deathly ill would require a single dose much higher than I would expect to see on a couple pieces of fruit/vegetables (especially if you rinsed them off with clean water before eating them). Cumulative exposure is a much bigger worry to most of us because it isn't that trivial amount of residue on one apple that hurts you but the buildup in your system of that tiny dose from every apple you eat this month that does the real harm.
It is fair to say that without knowing all of the details of your situation I can not definitively say what did or did not cause your illness. If your doctor believes that this was indeed a case of chemical poisoning and not just food-borne illness then you need to inform your state department of agriculture though. This is certainly not something to be taken lightly because "you think it was the pesticide that made you sick" because the penalties for non-compliance with federal pesticide application laws can range from fines starting in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and some include prison time too. Because of these penalties, professional pesticide applicators (such as myself and like most farms employ) take this stuff very
seriously and it isn't the wild wild west of people just applying whatever whenever to their crops anymore.