My father and mother in-law moved into the city and me and the wife moved out to the country. So my father in-law stopped by with his 1953 Jubilee and just gave it to us. He figured we would actually restore it and use it, plus it stays in the family and whats he gonna do with it in the city anyways.
He went ahead and converted it from 6V to 12V before he brought it to me, trans was rebuilt 3 years ago and the engine roughly 10 years ago.
From what i can see, it needs: all new body work, all new gauges, new steering wheel, new rear rims and inner disks, new front rims, front grill, its missing the brush guard, PTO shaft seal, looks like its leaking fluids in a couple different areas. It needs more than just this but this is major stuff i can see right off the bat without digging to deep.
Im a little nervous working on this thing, its big and its heavy. If i had to split it i wouldnt even know how i would go about doing it. Just removing a rear rim/tire spooks me, they probably weigh more than i do.
So here she is, followed with alot of questions, please help if you can.
And the leaking PTO shaft.......... i think
1. Rear rims are rusted right through in some spots, they are toasted. But the tires hold air so im assuming they have tubes, they would have to right? Do most large tractors use tubes from the factory? At least in that era? Father in-law says they are filled with chloride also, i find that a bit strange, where would someone get that much chloride, just weird if its even true.
2. PTO shaft is leaking, its definitely not the PTO cover gasket thats leaking as you can see in the pic. There is an inner seal somewhere on the shaft right? Does anyone know the part that i need? Ive been looking but im not sure im looking at the right seal. Can anyone tell me how to do it or how difficult it is to replace the seal? I did see that i can get a whole new PTO shaft assembly ready to install right out of the box, would anyone recommend to just go ahead and replace the whole sha-bang? Its only $100 or so, not that bad really and its gotta be easier to replace right? My father inlaw says i have to split the tractor to replace the seal/whole assembly, is that true? I find that hard to believe.
3. Hydraulics. When i put them in the highest position and then shut the tractor down after awhile the hydraulics go all the way back down. Is that normal? Shouldnt they stay where i left them?
4. Whats the proof meter? What does it do? The thing is in such bad shape i cant see through the glass, i dont think it even works.
5. I cant seem to take off gradually or smoothly. No matter how slow and gentle i am letting out the clutch it just wants to take off and jerks you back, its a violent jerk to. Does the same thing in reverse, at this point i wont back up to anything, not even my trailer, i fear that its going to get away from me and do some serious damage or get me hurt.
I have alot more questions but lets start with these for now. I also have more pics of all the "problem areas" that im gonna need some help with.
Thanks to anyone who can help a total newb!