My Tractor Forum banner

Ross Steering Gear out of sync

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Larry LGT 165 
#1 ·
My 1983 or so Jacobsen GT12g has a steering issue after I ran it into a 6x6
post yesterday. Everything looks good outside of the steering box. Nothing bent. I decided the steering is out of sync. The wheels turn too far one way,
and just barely the other way. I have taken the Ross unit apart on chassis,
but I need some step by step instructions to set it back up correctly. When you turn the wheel, everything is very smooth, it just does not turn the wheels correctly.I am cleaning it up, getting ready to reset it. A little help is all I need,
I think. Ross unit ID # SCA11024025. I bought the tractor slightly used in 1983, and I have used it ever since. There is an open threaded hole at the bottom under the two jam nuts that I wonder if I am missing a bolt from. At the bottom of the shaft, there is a cotter pin, listed as an adjustment pin. I took it out but I could not turn the bottom plug(described as the steering gear adjustment plug).

Thanks for any help.

#2 · (Edited)
There is a real good post by "Jack's Deere" in the "power steering on an LGT". thread of the Ford/post 1990 new Holland site. It is a link "Garden Tractor Pulling Tips" only back about 2-3 weeks. It is done by "Brian Miller" I believe the authors name to be. A very all inclusive read with great diagrams.

If you center the steering box by turning 1 & 1/2 turns of the steering wheel from either end of the travel, are the wheels pointing straight ahead? if not, can you see where anything got bent? Sounds like draglink adjustment might be out. The adjustment won't have changed but the steering arm on either end of it may have twisted on impact. At the kingpin or at the cross shaft of the Ross box. I have also seen the sector pin in the worm, sheared right off at or under the locking nut.

The bottom plug with the cotter pin securing it adjusts the up and down play of the shaft bearings. If this was loose, you would be able to lift the steering wheel up and down while sitting in the seat.

"Ford LGT 165" has a good "Steering box rebuild" video posted after Jack's and can also be found at the top of the Cub Cadet site. Many brands use the Ross box.

Since it's dark now, give that long post a read and then have a look in the morning.
I can't help but feel something will be obvious if it happened on impact.
Best of luck.

#3 ·
Thanks everyone

The Drag Link was in fact bent. I learned a lot about the tractor.

I had the schematics showing the threads fairly straight, not bent in a u shape.

But I did check the complete steering out and it is perfect now.

Thanks again for the help

fixitagain

#4 ·
Hi Fixitagain
Just knew morning would shed a little daylight on the cause. After the deck, the steering seems to be the most vulnerable part of the tractor. Bending the draglink was a blessing, otherwise you would have had the steering box out on the floor and be on ebay looking for parts.

Glad it worked out ok

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.