Here's the length of telephone pole I started with. It was leaning about a half inch, so I trued it up. I marked a level line around the circumference and cut that with a circular saw at full depth. I took the center out where the circular saw couldn't reach with a chainsaw. Then I sanded it down with a belt sander. The final height was about 28 inches.
Here's the anvil. It's a Hay-Budden made in Brooklyn, NY in the early 20th century. I degreased it, wire wheeled it and hand rubbed some used motor oil on it. Before.....
Here's the markings.
Got the anvil up on the base. It fit perfectly. I put three coats of clear poly on the base for a finish. It was not stained.
Next was fabbing up some pieces to attach the anvil to the base. This is what I came up with using stuff I had laying around. First, I took 1/2" lags and cut the hex heads off. Then I welded those to 1/2" threaded rod.
Then I made these straps to hold the anvil down secure.
Bolted it down. Lags were threaded in about 5 inches.
Next I wanted to have my favorite hammers at hand. I thought having them hanging on the base would be pretty cool. After shooting down my first few ideas I came up with this. I have some pretty old machines at my machine shop, and they use leather belts. I buy rolls of leather and make my own when necessary. I thought the leather belting might work well. Here's the leather we use. Of course, you could use a couple of those belts in your closet from your younger days
I took the belting and drilled a hole every 4-1/2". Where I wanted a loop, I put the screws 3-1/2" apart. This synched the belt and made a loop. The next screw was put in at the 4-1/2" to create spacing.
The hammers fit great. No more breaking my back and cursing. Well at least when I'm using the anvil