My Tractor Forum banner

Sprayer Set Up

8K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  JoeS 
#1 ·
I'm setting up my new Fimco 25 gallon pull behind sprayer. I'll be starting with 24D on dandilions first. I'm looking for advise on speed & mixing. I'm thinking of what RPM to be at in low gear for the right coverage & ounces/ gallon in mixing. I have a coverage listing that came with it but it's a little vague.

#2 ·
I run in low at 2000RPM with forward pedal down when I use the 2305. Most of the time I use my 110 with a gear trans. slkpk

#18 ·
Qick question---what pressure on the sprayer do you guys run? full 40 lbs?

#3 ·
that's my method as well, 2000 rpm, low gear, foot to the floor. I mix at one ounce per gallon, but that's labeled rate for what I use. You really have to dig through the label of what you have and determine the rate. Do Not mix higher than the labeled rate, it won't kill the weeds any faster.

#5 ·
That's exactly the speed question I was looking for. Mix rate as well. Thanks guys. I'm going to wire in a plug in on the rear of the tractor as the wires it came with are too short to reach the battery. I'll post some pics when I get it done

#6 ·
the speed does vary based on your application rate and how fast the sprayer puts it out. but 2 mph is a good middle ground to adjust from.

on my x500 i set my throttle about half way and go foot to the floor. i have a 15 gallon sprayer, and it takes about 20 mins to empty using the boom or under 15 mins with the wand.

also, wear a mask and googles when spraying 2,4-d and DON'T do it unless the wind is calm. that stuff gets in your eyes and it can blind you.

#7 ·
Good advise

#8 ·
I use a 0.5% solution for 2,4-D which works out to be 1.5oz per 2gallons. For my 30 gallon spray tank, that's 22.5oz. I run at a comfortable speed for any manuevering that I need to do and adjust the bypass valve on the sprayer to the the coverage I want at that travel speed.

#9 ·
Play around with the sprayer with WATER ONLY to figure out how fast it goes through product. That way any mistakes don't matter. A driveway or a road work great for checking coverage.

I used to use the 2 4 -D available in the tractor supply places due to it be very inexpensive. Now I greatly prefer a triple acting compound that contains two different isomers of 2 4 - D along with Dicamba. The small price increase is worth it. Of the triple acting, MecAmine D is good and better than Tri-Mec.
A surfactant such as Li-700 also helps on the waxy type weeds such as creeping charlie and violets.

This year I am switching to Lesco Momentum FX-2 but that is not available to the public.

#10 ·
I've had very good results with Speedzone. let me know how the Momentum works. I use Barricade and Dimension, to keep the use of speedzone down. I've tried Solitaire, but it's a BEAR to mix as it's pellatized, but it does kill just about every weed I've encountered, including mature crabgrass.

#12 ·
maybe my trouble with mixing the solitaire was the water? I put it in a quart jar with a pint of water and mixed until the pellets were dissolved, then mixed into the spot sprayer, not really too bad I guess, just not as simple as liquids. 5 gallon Stihl sprayer for me. The only thing I have 1 gallon sprayers for is insecticide and roundup. I have enough sprayers that I don't have to worry about what was in this sprayer last...

speedzone is a bit pricey compared to other 3 ways, but it is a beast for knocking down tough stuff like thistle or wood sorrel.

#13 ·
You guys ever hear or use Quinclorac? I just got 2 pounds to control the post emergerence of crabgrass here.. I believe it is sold commercially as Drive?

Was pricey at $60/# but I'll try it when the wind quits blowin!

Also what do you guys spray any tank mix fertilizer? I tried the mixes at tractor supply and they dont seem to have any effect at all.

Thats why this year I went with Scotts Turfbuilder and the broadcast spreader.

#16 ·
Scotts is so crazy expensive I just can't see it. The fertilizer I am buying is slow release PCSCU. Poly coated sulphur coated urea. I won't bother with the cheap stuff not poly coated.

Solitaire is quinclorac in dry granular form.

Drive is the same thing in liquid.

I attempted to by Drive but they were out and got the Solitaire. I thought the stuff was much easier to measure than liquid. Just used plastic spoon from Mircale Gro after weighing it on a scale that measure in grains. (powder scale)

#15 ·
I've not tried Drive, but I may this year if I run out of MSMA, which I probably will as I only have a half a jug left. As for liquid fert, I've been debating making the switch this year because of the atronomical pricing on granular. I have been using Lesco for about 5 years now and really like their products because I can fine tune a little better than with the Scott's stuff, and it's cheaper.

#17 ·
Well got the switch in so now it's off to water bombing practice.:fing32:

#22 ·
Well I finally got a calm wind day to spray last week. I nailed it:thThumbsU I used you guys' recomendation of 2k RPM's in low floored, sprayer at 20lbs pressure & slightly less than 1oz 2 4 D per gallon water. I had some thisstles but mostly heavy concentration of dandilions and it hammered them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.