My Tractor Forum banner

Harbor Freight Cargo Carrier

32K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  AmericanElm2382 
#1 ·
Does anyone use either of these cargo carriers (or something comparable) on their tractors (or other vehicles)?

Aluminum: http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-aluminum-cargo-carrier-92655.html

Steel: http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-deluxe-cargo-carrier-66983.html

I know there have been a lot of discussions about similar caddies (especially the old Sears ones), seem like they would be pretty useful.

Could probably attach a bracket to tow a cart behind it? I am always looking for a way to carry tools (shovels, rakes, etc.) without needing to put them in the dump cart with the materials (mulch, leaves, etc.).

I've seen various (including home-made) tool caddies that go in the dump carts, but they all require you to remove the tools to dump the cart (at least, I would so I don't catch a rake in the head). I think I could make a tool holder to clamp to one of these cargo carriers, that way I could still use (and dump) the cart. Has anyone tried this?

Also, what seems better, the aluminum or steel version?

If the HF models aren't well-built, please point me in a better direction (another supplier, etc.).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the aluminum one for use behind our '90 GMC Suburban. I installed some square rubber mounted (they just set inside a rubber gasket) tail lights because it's main purpose is to haul luggage to and from LAX Airport at all hours when the inlaws visit.

It has a square steel tube running under it, so it'd be pretty easy for you to fab up a way to have it between 2 things.......like a vehicle, or lawn tractor, and what you are wanting to tow. I've thought about doing the same, but so that I could still tow our Starcraft pop-up tent trailer. The cargo hauler could then hold firewood/generator/etc.

#5 ·
I have the steel version for my Mountaineer.
It is very heavy in itself though and a bit difficult to handle.
I use it for camping - perfect for cooler and for picking up firewood without getting the truck dirty inside. I have had 300+ lbs on it without problems.

I read that the paint on them is pretty poor so I painted mine with truck bed liner when I put it together. That is holding up great with my limited use.

#6 ·
I cannot vouch for the steel models being sold but i have see many aluminum models on the road mounted up to vehicles were the user's have overloaded them severly which probably wasn't more than the manufacturer's recomended weight limit.

I built my own from scrap out of steel and for what it was it was immensley strong. the heaviest i ever had on there was 2 field dressed deer (my buck and my wifes doe), and myself (210lbs) estimating both deer to be in the 220 lb range as well. thats at least 430lbs guestimation and it never even showed the first signs of sagging.

It fit perfectly between the the door jam on the rear end of my '05 jeep grand cherokee. the only reason i don't have it it because i bought my late dad's pickup from my mom. didn't have any more need for it and wanted the room for storage. gave it to a friend from work who could use it, only stipulation was i could use it if i needed it.

I never had the intention of using it behind a gt/lt but it would have come in handy if i still had it around. IMO you'd be better off building one or finding a friend to help build one if possible. that way you can built it to your specs and most of all your standards. many things nowaday's are not built like they should be. But if light hauling and smaller objects are what you have in mind, then by all mean's by what would be most usefull to you and your needs.

Just my 2 cents

#7 ·
Although not the HF model, I've used a similar cargo carrier on the back of my garden tractor to carry a 25-gallon water tank:

That photo was taken right after I bought it. I have since made some modifications including shortening the drawbar a few inches plus I added a hose reel. I like this approach because I can use it behind the garden tractor or the truck.

#8 ·
Cool, thanks guys!

JT42, how did you set up the receiver on the tractor?

Mike

#12 ·
JT42, how did you set up the receiver on the tractor?
Home made receiver build with steel angle, flat stock, and a receiver tube from a local hardware store. It bolts to some existing holes in the frame. It's been a handy. In addition to the water tank and occasional trailer use, I've used it with a tow clevis and chain to drag downed trees.

#10 ·
I had that in mind for a long time to make something like those racks..The steel one you listed is 53" wide (Haul-Master)...I had a 42" cutting deck..I wasn't thinking there..I had the rack for a while because it was on sale plus the 20% coupon ,,it was like 30 bucks..
I want to make it mounted to the tractor all the time but if needed ,have four bolts to remove...Cutting grass wasn't my idea removing the rack..I'm talking about once a year if that do remove..
Now I got a new tractor with 54" deck..The 53" wide rack minus 2" receiver bar gives me a 51" rack that I can live with..So now its mounted and ready...I just have to remember its there when cutting against the fence and not turning away fast because of the swing..and its not in the way when moving the trailers,,dump trailer and plow connected..
HF also had a smaller one in width for ATV but with three sides,,not all sided..

#13 ·
Thanks for that pic, really clears it up. Great mod!!!

Mike

#16 · (Edited)
I have the old Load and Go by Craftsman..Best invention since sliced bread!! Mine stays, on my Cub Cadet, and folds up..Many many uses!!

Attachments

#18 ·
I bought an aluminum one from harbor freight when it was on sale for 59.99 and then used a 20% off coupon. Works great for hauling tools, chainsaw, brush etc behind the kubota. Haven't used it to actually hual anything down the highway, but for camping and stuff, I owuld think it would hold a cooler and fuel cans just peachy!

#19 ·
Update: Bought the steel HF version yesterday (on sale, was 30% off).

Thanks for all the pics guys, some very interesting ideas there!

Mike

#24 ·
I like my HF carrier. comes in handy when I don't need the trailer.

Attachments

#25 ·
I get a lot of use out of my Harbor Freight carrier. I even put a hitch on the back of it so i could pull a trailer when I went around the yard trimming trees. The carrier hauled the generator, chainsaw, and anything else I needed so I could load the trailer with the branches as I trimmed.

Attachments

#26 ·
Larry, do you have a closer pic of the hitch on the carrier?

#27 · (Edited)
I can get you one. If I remember correctly it is a hitch and ball that fits in the front receiver of my X729. I just took out the reflector on the back of the carrier and it slid in. I'll go out and see if i can get enough light to take a good pic.

This pic doesn't show it either but it gives you an idea how handy this setup is. for trimming and cleanup.

OK, went out and took a few pics and my memory was correct. It is the smaller hitch that fits in the front receiver or smaller receivers on mini vans and such

Attachments

#28 ·
thanks, I will have to do that to mine!

#29 ·
Glad I stumbled across this topic.I was just thinking about how I was gonna get some weight to the rear wheels of my JD 214.I just ordered a bolt on hitch that goes over the factory trailer hole mount.Has a 2" square receiver hitch so I can pull what ever I want.I think I may have to cut my luggage rack down a bit.I belive its wider than my rear Ags.Dont wanna get hung up while turning etc.

#31 ·
I have the Heavy Hitch on my 3PH so the carrier can slide in the receiver and pin inn place. The 3PH and Heavy Hitch stay on my tractor 90 % of the time.

Attachments

#32 ·
Here's my setup... 1970 montgomery ward gilson 14hp.... Briggs.... Haven't had a chance to really test the weight capacity of the hauler yet.... Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper Snowmobile Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Outdoor power equipment Automotive wheel system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.