My Tractor Forum banner

How to register trailer in n.j

18K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  craigbaill 
#1 ·
I got a chance to buy a 5'x8' franklin utility trailer cheap.. owner states he has no title for it and no tags on it anymore. If i buy it how do i go about registering it in new jersey without title. I seen on web that N.J. doesn't issue titles for trailers under 2500 lbs. But will i need a letter stating sale from owner to me or what.
thanks
allen

#3 ·
That used to be easy to do, but because of the abuse of the system, it's not an easy option any longer. To many stolen trailers were registered that way in the past.

Alan, how far are you from DMV in Medford on RT 70 ? You might want to stop in there and ask. They are by far the fastest and friendliest DMV location I've ever been to.

Let us know how you make out. :trink39:

#5 ·
This doesn't answer your question, but I have a very simple 1500 lbs trailer here in PA, and have maintained registration, and do have a title on it. Here in PA I get a very simple registration, good for 5 years at a very reasonable price. No insurance required.

So, I wouldn't rule out used, and maybe an option is to drive across the bridge and buy a used PA trailer that is titled and registered, then go through the transfer process.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.