My Tractor Forum banner

JD 160 Kawasaki FB460V Idle problems - Need some help

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  GeorgeL 
#1 ·
Hi,

My JD 160 has been been great for a very long time. Just recently it started idling strange. If I put the throttle all the way up it wont run steady. It goes up, down, up, down. It cuts and drives but its not running smoothly.Could the carb need to be cleaned? Fuel lines? Just trying to identify what the cause of the problem is so I can look into it and fix it. Its almost like someone is pushing the throttle up and down as its running.

Thanks for any help. Sorry if it cant explain it so well.

George

#2 ·
Sounds like a fouled carb. Warm it up and slowly pour some "seafoam" in the intake. Just a little. After that, if you still have issues take and clean the carb.

#3 ·
Good advice from Jgj... Thing to bear in mind, also, tho, is that if your carb is fouled, it must have gotten that way from what's being fed into it.... So, some standard things to do are: changing fuel filter (if you don't remember the last time you did it, its time to do it); clean/change air filter; change out your fuel lines (if you are the original owner and you've never done this, it's probably time... the rubber in the lines does degrade over time); remove and clean your tank (this one is a good one to do at the same time as you change the fuel lines, as you'll have the deck off at that point).... Here's a thread from recently where I went through everything I did LAST summer to clean out my fuel system.... One other piece of advice would be to set your idle speed mix... The process for doing that is available in the technical manual for the FB460v, which I'd suggest downloading and keeping a copy handy...

Hope this helps!

#5 ·
:ditto: All the posts above as the right places to start. One more thing to inspect while you're there is the vacuum line to the fuel pump. If that's leaking it could be one of the problems but my first bet is a fouled carb, fuel filter or fuel pickup. Have you run it out of gas recently?

#6 ·
Remove the air filter assembly, and look for the idle jet- not the idle adjustment screw with the T-handle, the jet. It will be a brass screw with a hole in it. Remove it and clean the small hole in the bottom of the jet. That should get you going. When you re-install the air filter base, make sure the breather hose is connected properly.

#7 ·
thank you very much everyone. Going to try these suggestions tonight, had a unexpected plumbing problem the past 2 days. Never a dull moment. I'm glad I fix everything myself. FUN FUN FUN and never a dull moment. Always learning something new.

:trink40:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.