My Tractor Forum banner

John Deere 400 garden tractor?

123K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  jerryh20 
#1 · (Edited)
just wondering if anyone here is familiar with a JD '400' lawn/garden tractor?

I went to pick up my new (to me) zero-turn from a dealer today, and sitting right next to it was a beautiful (and rather large) JD 400 garden tractor with a 20HP Kohler, hydrostatic drive with hi/lo range, power steering, a 60" deck, front PTO (unknown RPM), brand new looking rear 3pt. with arms and dual front hydraulic circuits on it (2 levers - 4 hydraulic ports) ... it fired right up and seemed to run/ride and mow just fine with the exception of a possibly ganky deck belt that slipped a little at first - the engine was smooth and quiet and it has an obviously upgraded seat with a suspension system and arm rests, so it's really comfy to drive

while I was excited to see a new looking 3pt. on the rear, I was equally unexcited to see that there isn't a rear PTO or any rear hydraulics on this tractor ... this leaves me wondering why on earth JD would omit something like a rear PTO or at least hydraulic lines to the rear of this tractor, especially when it's obviously designed for ground engaging implements ... what am I supposed to hang on this?

one thing I'm fairly concerned with is accessories for this - I was warned that some JD tractors will only accept one or two models of snowblowers and things like that, which would leave me with a giant, powerful lawn mower that does nothing else, which I definitely do not need

so ... I'm really hoping I can get some help from the MTF crowd on this one ... I can buy this tractor for what I think is a good price ($1000 or best offer) but I just can't do it if all I'm going to be able to use it for is mowing grass

is there a FEL made that will fit onto this 400 without having to fab up mounting brackets? ... the tractor certainly seems beefy enough to handle it, and I've seen photos of 400's with loaders on them (although I'm not sure if they are home made or not) ... Johnny Bucket makes a JBsr. for the 400 that makes use of the dual hydraulic circuits, but I would want something that lifts higher than a JB

which snow blowers will fit onto this 400 tractor? ... same with other accessories like blades and tillers and such ... will the same accessories that work on the 300 series fit and work on the 400?

what's the deal with the missing rear PTO? ... do the rear implements use a drive shaft that connects to the front system somehow? ... it has a nice factory 3pt. on it that is connected to the mower deck hydraulics, but the only thing I can see it being good for is dragging around unpowered accessories or the few that have their own engines on them

overall, is this a decent tractor? ... everything seems to work really good, and it drove and mowed really nice - but I just can't see adding a tractor that size to my stable if it's only going to be able to perform lawn mowing duty ... think it's worth $1000?

thanks for any help anyone can give - I'd like to make a decision on this within the next couple days if possible

I don't have a picture of the one I'm thinking of buying, but here's what it looks like (without the 3pt. arms)

See less See more
#31 ·
Wow wish i could have found a deal like that. Even with only the 3point and mower deck for a grand that would be a steal. I think berco makes a 2 stage blower that would work on the front of that, and i think there is a company that makes a frame squezzer so you can use 300 series implements on the 400 also.

#32 ·
#33 ·
I had a quiestion for you 400 gurus. Do you think the frame on the 400 could handle a loader that used a quick attach like the 45 on the x700? I wouldn't put the square tube through the frame, but make a bracket underneath and a pivoting front mount that locks into the front attachment mount. I want to be able to take it off quick and use the mowier with the bracket still on.

#36 · (Edited)
My dad had a 400 in 1974 with the front blade and the rear rototiller. It was my introduction to John Deere and I spent a lot of time on that beast. It I found one on eBay in 2005. I drove 12 hours to Missouri to pick it up. It came with the mower deck and since then I bought the the three point hitch and now have a box scraper and single disk plow for it. I also have a 8 hp rototiller for it. Still looking for other implements for it, maybe a front loader to carry my paint. Ha.

#37 ·
i sold my 400 to buy my 455 diesel. it never let me down and mowed morning til night. there are a couple places to get a loader made for it but your $1000 machine will become a $3500 machine quick. it does not turn well and has part time power steering. to clean behind the tins there are bolts to remove and the deck belt cover is best left hanging in the shop to keep it clean. i miss it just the same even with my 4 wheel steer 455 that turns on a dime and much better on fuel, has spring loaded tin clips and posit traction foot controls. the 400 high gear was much faster and i could almost keep up with city traffic. buy it, you won't be sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.