My Tractor Forum banner

How many gallons per hour do you use?

21K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  Bob E 
#1 ·
Anybody out there keep track of how many hours of runtime per gallon of gas you get when using your lawn or garden tractor?

My previous tractor did not have an hour meter so I never really knew how much run time per gallon I was gettting. Now I have an hour meter I am going to keep track for a while.

Will be interesting to see if different tasks have noticably different results.

#3 ·
Many riders will use just over 1 gallon per hour up to 1.50. Some diesel mowers will be as low as .90 gallons per hour.

#4 ·
Full throttle snowblowing with my 16 hp Onan twin cost me 1.25 gal/hr. Half to 2/3 throttle with the loader, that same engine used 3/4 gal./hr. It takes horsepower to run a snowblower, even just blowing air.

Rough fuel consumption for small engines is 0.4 - 0.6 lb/hr/hp, and I use 0.5 as a general calculator. Thats the brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC)and is dependent on the actual power generated by the engine. Backing up between passes while snow blowing doesn't require the engine to make max hp at full throttle. Gasoline weighs 6.0 lb/ gal.

A specific job will use a specific amount of fuel. Throttle position is not all that relevent except for how fast you want to do the job and if the engine can actually do the job at lower rpm and therefore lower horsepower.

My diesel does a little better. Half throttle loader work costs a little over a half gallon per hour. BSFC is around 0.35 - 0.45.

#7 ·
I'm amazed at how much gas some of the twin cylinders gassers can use over a gal/hr while some of my small diesel tractors burn very little.16HP Yanmar 1300d can't use much over a pint/hr. 31HP Yanmar 330 uses about 1/2 gal/hr.Even my 70HP Cockshutt/Oliver 1650D
only uses about 1 1/2 gal/hr while pulling a large round baler.

#8 ·
The John Deere X520 26hp Kawasaki V-twin uses about a gallon and a half per hour at full throttle. The MTD 990 16hp Brigg and Stratton single cylinder uses about two gallons per hour. Does not matter the throttle setting. Its a thirsty machine.

#9 ·
Haven't tried to calculate it, but some tasks just take more fuel. If I had a bigger place, I'd surely go with a diesel X748...

How old is your X500? I've heard rumors on the Deere forum that after about 50-60 hrs the fuel consumption of the Kawa's drops off a bit. I guess we'll see...

#10 ·
I burn 5 gallons of gas in 12 hours while mowing in my Cub Cadet.

#12 ·
In that case...10 gallons per minute:

#15 ·
My MTD 990 with 16 HP Briggs uses about 1 gallon per hour with disking and leveling ground.

My new Powerking with K361 uses a little more but haven't worked it enough to really tell.

My New Holland TC 24 DA uses about 1 gallon per hour working with the FEL. Next time am subsoiling will check cause that works it to the limit.

#16 ·
Interesting dialogue. I have a Deere 140 with a 38" deck. Also have a Bolens HT-20 with a 54" deck. the Deere has a single cylinder Kohler, while the HT has a two cylinder Kohler. The HT does the grass in less time of coarse, but it also uses less gas. Although the twin cylinders take more fuel than the single cylinder, I believe it's directly attributable to the ground speed. The HT has a much higher ground speed available to get the same quality cut as the Deere that needs a much lower ground speed. And yes, that's with all blades freshened. The HT has a 5G tank, the Deere a 1G tank (I believe) (I will check that out tomorrow). I'll fill the Deere three times before finished. The Koler is less than half used. And I finish in less than half the time.

#18 ·
2006 LA120 (B&S Intek Twin) with ~135 hours on: 0.4->0.5 gallons per hour at mostly WOT

A full tank lasted exactly 6 hours according to the hour meter. Tank size is rated at 2.4 gallons. Worst case it would take 3 gallons.

It uses at least HALF THE GAS it did when new since I ran a small amount of Techron through. Am pretty sure the carb float was stuck open as it would run on when turned off.

#19 ·
The gas tank was rusted on this tractor, I replaced it with a 1.5 gallon tank off a Toro mower
(the tank still has a Toro decal :hide:)

The engine is a 10 HP Kohler "K".

I can fill it and do blade work for 6 hours, and usually make it to the shed.

I have run out a couple times.

It is amazing how much fun that tractor is, that I can stay on it for 6 hours. :fing32:

So, I burn 1 quart an hour.

#21 ·
My X500 uses a little under 1 gallon per hour. My Kubota BX25D has used around 2 gallons in its first 6 hours, which is 1/3rd of a gallon per hour, and hopefully that will get better as it gets broken in.

Looking at it that way, with the fuel savings, I should probably sell the X500 and buy a mower deck and plow blade for the Kubota, and in the long run I should actually come out ahead.

The funny thing is that my Ford 4000, which ha a gasoline engine and produces 52 hp at the PTO, actually only uses a little more fuel per hour than the X500, about 1.25 to 1.5 gallons per hour depending on what I'm doing, so it is much more fuel efficient than the X500 when you consider the amount of work it can do in the same time period.

#22 ·
I've shared this chart I kept for about 150 hours of use on my x728. I started keeping the chart after I already had 100 hours on the tractor, so it was well broken in. I use the tractor for mowing, snow plowing, firewood pulling, and leaf collection. You can see individual tanks of gas varied, primarily based on what I was doing. But the cumulative gas consumption really stayed on a steady .9 gallons/hour.

I also incorporated other operating costs to come up with a cost of operation that really wasn't part of this thread.

#23 · (Edited)
I'm getting about a 1/2 gal an hour. 12.5 hp flathead briggs, 38" deck at full throttle traveling at walking speed. No hour meter on my rider, but It has a 2 gal tank. It takes an hour to mow the yard give or take 10 min. A full tank can usually get me four mows. It would usually start to spit and sputter on the way back to the garage after the fourth mow. Sometimes it makes it to the garage without a hitch. Every once in a while it clunks out with a pass or two left to mow. So, I've started refilling it after every three mows... I thought these flatheads were supposed to be thirsty? A couple of times I almost swapped this flathead for a newer OHV to gain a couple extra hp worth of bragging rites and better gas mowage, but I guess this engine does pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.