My Tractor Forum banner

John Deere 400 hydrostatic transmission ?

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TUDOR 
#1 ·
Hi All
Is there some one who could help me out.
I would like to use a John Deere 400 hydrostatic drive transmission on something that I am building. I see them on E-bay.
Most are run with a 20 hp.
#1 What is the rotation going into the hydra. drive? ( From the motor ) Is it C.W. ???
#2 What RPM's do the hydrostatic run at?
#3 There are 3 hose conections on the hydra. drive, what do they go to?
#4 Dose the oil in the rear end mix with the oil in the hydrostatic drive?
#5 This is a big one, If the speed going into the hydrostatic was 1000 RPM,s what would the RPM,s coming out be? What is the ratio?

Thank you for your help
Mark

#2 ·
Hi All
Is there some one who could help me out.
I would like to use a John Deere 400 hydrostatic drive transmission on something that I am building. I see them on E-bay.
Most are run with a 20 hp.
#1 What is the rotation going into the hydra. drive? ( From the motor ) Is it C.W. ???

Optional, depending on which end of the engine is driving it. Adjustment for rotation is done by turning the charge pump housing 180*.

#2 What RPM's do the hydrostatic run at?

Max is 4000. In GT's usually 3300 - 3600 RPM.

#3 There are 3 hose conections on the hydra. drive, what do they go to?

One line from the rear end to supply the hydro and 2 from the hydro for implement lift hydraulics.

#4 Dose the oil in the rear end mix with the oil in the hydrostatic drive?

The oil in the rear end is the oil for the hydro. The rear end is the reservoir.

#5 This is a big one, If the speed going into the hydrostatic was 1000 RPM,s what would the RPM,s coming out be? What is the ratio?

1000 RPM. Ratio is 1:1. The reduction is all done in the rear end.

Thank you for your help
Mark

My information is specific to Sundstrand Series 15 hydro units. I'm pretty sure that it is accurate for comparable Eaton units as well.

#3 ·
Eaton 11's are 2:1 for input/output.

One top port is intake from reservoir, second is to auxiliary hydraulics/filter/cooler, return from filter is to the side port, and finally the return to the reservoir is around the output shaft. Correct me if I'm wrong; just expecting that the OP is going to ask.

#4 ·
Thank You Gentlemen.
I have used the #11 Eaton hydrostatic transmissions in the past and the ratio was 1.8 to 1.
The info that you have given me will help. I think that I will go with a Eaton and not the John Deere hydro..
I was thinking of changing the Eaton hydro. that I put in my tractor. Its real loud and heats up fast. I think that the hydro. has seen beter days.
I was thinking that I would try the John Deere hydro., but the ratio is the problem.
Thank again
Mark

#6 · (Edited)
Thank You Gentlemen.
I have used the #11 Eaton hydrostatic transmissions in the past and the ratio was 1.8 to 1.
The info that you have given me will help. I think that I will go with a Eaton and not the John Deere hydro..
I was thinking of changing the Eaton hydro. that I put in my tractor. Its real loud and heats up fast. I think that the hydro. has seen beter days.
I was thinking that I would try the John Deere hydro., but the ratio is the problem.
Thank again
Mark
That depends on what you have plans for. The Sundstrand will make it go faster and deliver less axle torque with a given pressure, but the pressure that it can handle on a continuous basis will use up an Eaton in minutes.

If you can figure out a way to adjust the final drive gear ratio, you're further ahead with the Sundstrand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.