430 Garden tractor - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-17-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7
430 Garden tractor

1983 model. It's in fair shape. Did run until I put it back together after replacing the freeze plug behind the injector pump. Guess I put the gears back together out of time. It's got sounds of a hard start. I've spent a lot of time on this dude and I'm sick of it. I want to sell it. 897 hours. Has the deck but it's in rough shape and probably needs $300 worth of parts to make it right. No 3 point hitch or rear PTO. I have the service and operator manuals as well. About the only thing the engine needs is a muffler.

What would you guys estimate it's value not running?


Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
arjdrn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 03-17-2017, 03:34 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
royalton10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 716
Re: 430 Garden tractor

Not sure of value. I will say I have seen several at recent fall plow days. Some have even pulled a two bottom plow.

Good luck!

2009 x720 62" Deck 214 hours and brand new deck (surprise birthday present from my wife)

2005 GX 335 54" Deck
48" blade with Thompson 4" stroke 1200# actuator
2003 Scag Tiger Cub 48"
10' tilt trailer

Actuator video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzf3qXQ075o

Wiring harness video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e--k39BszDo
royalton10 is online now  
post #3 of 15 Old 03-17-2017, 03:42 PM
10,000 +posts!
 
mrbeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 11,447
Garage
Re: 430 Garden tractor

In that condition and based on the problems described somewhere in the $1,000-1,200 range

The true test of skill is when you can put something back together and it works... not the dusty half disassembled pile of junk in the corner....

Tractors:
'08 JD 1445
'07 JD X748
'88 JD 318 "The Golden Child"
'83 JD 214
'74 JD 140
'57 JD 820
The Round Fenders: '67 JD 112H, '67 JD 110H "The Frog", '66 JD 110, '65 JD 110
Former Machines:
60's Power King, '64 JD 110, '65 JD 110, '65 JD 110, '66 JD 60, '66 JD 110, '66 JD 110, '66 JD 110H, '69 JD 112, '69 JD 140H3, '72 140 H1, '77 JD 212, '79 JD 212, '80 JD 317, '80 JD 317, '80 JD 317, '83 JD 318, '84 420, '86 JD 318, '86 JD 420, '87 JD 430, '87 JD 318, '88 JD 318, '88 JD 318, '88 JD 855, '89 JD 318, '91 JD 430, uk Cab Cadet 2140, '92 JD 320, '93 JD 320, '96 JD 445, and '01 LX277


Want to watch a guy fumble through a project where he has no clue what might be next......
Kohler Light Plant

mrbeef is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 03-17-2017, 06:22 PM
Shacker
 
papashelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: WI - Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 498
Re: 430 Garden tractor

Not sure on what would be a reasonable price, but after working on my 420 that was in similar shape (spent a lot of hours on it), I know I wouldn't give much for yours, sorry. I know the 430's are worth more. As you said, I did spend $300+ just to get the deck back in shape. New spindles, bearings, blades, welding, etc..
Can you tell me what that rod linkage is in your first picture, between the foot rest and counsel? Looks like the linkage for the hydro. Mine is under the pan.
Hope everything goes well with the sale.

2012 X728 with:
48C deck
MC519 collection system
3 point hitch (I have no use for this, but it looks cool.)
47" blower and suitcase weights
54" blade
Curtis soft side cab
Front bumper and fenders
Front mounted thatcher

1984 JD420 with 50" deck

1968 JD 112 all original, purchased from my dad in 1996, with:
deck, snowthrower, white patio blade, cab, 1966 #80 cart with vac system, and all shop manuals
Now living in PA at my daughters house.
papashelby is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 03-17-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7
Re: 430 Garden tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by papashelby View Post
Not sure on what would be a reasonable price, but after working on my 420 that was in similar shape (spent a lot of hours on it), I know I wouldn't give much for yours, sorry. I know the 430's are worth more. As you said, I did spend $300+ just to get the deck back in shape. New spindles, bearings, blades, welding, etc..
Can you tell me what that rod linkage is in your first picture, between the foot rest and counsel? Looks like the linkage for the hydro. Mine is under the pan.
Hope everything goes well with the sale.
Ha! That there is the "custom" foot controlled hydro. I'm the 3rd owner and the 2nd owner is known for "Jerry-rigging"...oddly enough, his name really is Jerry. It works though!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
arjdrn is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 03-17-2017, 09:01 PM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
Deere 332's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 1,863
Re: 430 Garden tractor

Sorry to say probably not much maybe $600-700 to the right person I might would pay $350-400 If I was looking for another project at the moment which Im not especially after having to fight with my 332 today and it not wanting to start in the cold so I'm taking a break on purchasing tractors for a while. But keep in mind my values are low because thats based of what I usually get machines for for example I bought my 332 that was in a little better shape than your 430 for $350 but my 332 also ran and drove. Hope this helps!

Current Collection

1987 John Deere 165 Hydro with blade mowing deck and AG tires Restored

1991 John Deere 332 Redland hill 3pt hitch Carlisle Tru Power AG tires and V61s, 30 Hydraulic Tiller, Restored


1975 John Deere 212 Electric Lift, Sleeve Hitch, 33 Tiller, Restored

1987 John Deere 160 38" Mowing Deck aka "The Bush Hog"

1988 John Deere 318 aka "Old Smokey"

1957 Farmall 130 Fast Hitch 2 Bottom Plow, 1 Gang Disc, 2 Gang Disc, Sprayer,
Deere 332 is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old 03-17-2017, 11:10 PM
10,000 +posts!
 
mrbeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 11,447
Garage
Re: 430 Garden tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deere 332 View Post
Sorry to say probably not much maybe $600-700 to the right person I might would pay $350-400 If I was looking for another project at the moment which Im not especially after having to fight with my 332 today and it not wanting to start in the cold so I'm taking a break on purchasing tractors for a while. But keep in mind my values are low because thats based of what I usually get machines for for example I bought my 332 that was in a little better shape than your 430 for $350 but my 332 also ran and drove. Hope this helps!
How did you arrive at this value? What you are willing to pay for a machine shouldn't be the sole basis for arriving at value since you are not the only buyer. What you paid for a 332 is irrelevant to the price of a 430 since they are the the proverbial apples and oranges comparison.....

The differential along is worth $300.... then throw in the deck... non-running or poor cosmetics affect the value but every machine has a residual value and complete 430's have a calculated residual value in the neighborhood of $1300-1400. Take off the grill and a couple other items and you arrive at 1,000-1,200.

The true test of skill is when you can put something back together and it works... not the dusty half disassembled pile of junk in the corner....

Tractors:
'08 JD 1445
'07 JD X748
'88 JD 318 "The Golden Child"
'83 JD 214
'74 JD 140
'57 JD 820
The Round Fenders: '67 JD 112H, '67 JD 110H "The Frog", '66 JD 110, '65 JD 110
Former Machines:
60's Power King, '64 JD 110, '65 JD 110, '65 JD 110, '66 JD 60, '66 JD 110, '66 JD 110, '66 JD 110H, '69 JD 112, '69 JD 140H3, '72 140 H1, '77 JD 212, '79 JD 212, '80 JD 317, '80 JD 317, '80 JD 317, '83 JD 318, '84 420, '86 JD 318, '86 JD 420, '87 JD 430, '87 JD 318, '88 JD 318, '88 JD 318, '88 JD 855, '89 JD 318, '91 JD 430, uk Cab Cadet 2140, '92 JD 320, '93 JD 320, '96 JD 445, and '01 LX277


Want to watch a guy fumble through a project where he has no clue what might be next......
Kohler Light Plant

mrbeef is online now  
post #8 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 01:45 AM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
inspectorudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,377
Re: 430 Garden tractor

I love restoring these old tractors but to go into an engine that someone else has already taken apart and the put back together wrong is a big task for anyone who is not diesel savvy. Throw in the Jerry rigging and that makes it a little less original. For a person who wanted to invest their time and money into it, they would have to know that they were creating a tool for themselves and not a sellable JD for any kind of money in the future. Mr. Beef is right about the parts but there to shipping is getting to be the limiting factor for online purchases. I was going to buy a 318 deck from a guy and the shipping cost was almost as much as the deck. Maybe you will find a home for it with someone who needs and old workhorse. Good luck!
inspectorudy is online now  
post #9 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 02:35 PM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 100
Re: 430 Garden tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeef View Post
How did you arrive at this value? What you are willing to pay for a machine shouldn't be the sole basis for arriving at value since you are not the only buyer. What you paid for a 332 is irrelevant to the price of a 430 since they are the the proverbial apples and oranges comparison.....

The differential along is worth $300.... then throw in the deck... non-running or poor cosmetics affect the value but every machine has a residual value and complete 430's have a calculated residual value in the neighborhood of $1300-1400. Take off the grill and a couple other items and you arrive at 1,000-1,200.
/\ What he said.
Jerkzack is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 12:08 AM
1K poster
 
donbowman14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 1,300
Re: 430 Garden tractor

Well, I did see this one on CL because it was in the FL-GA area and initially thought $2000 was a great price until I started reading the issues. I give the guy an A for being upfront, but I wouldn't touch it and was happy to get mine for $2000 just two weeks ago and it ran. Mine has minor cosmetics issues, but is otherwise mechanically sound. Although this one has fewer hours, you'd be walking into someone else's nightmare....or at least potentially. I'd still say it's worth over a $1000, just not to me. And I bet parted out correctly, you could exceed $2000, those 2-speed trannies are pricey and the sellers normally charge extra for the linkage parts.

Keepers
2001 John Deere 445
Cat 0/1 3pt. hitch
60" Mower Deck
42" Hydraulic Tiller
48" NorTrac Box Scraper
40 Gallon 3pt. Sprayer
10p Dump Cart

1987 John Deere 430
Cat 0/1 3pt. hitch
60" Mower Deck
R4 Rear tire/turf up front
Cast Iron Wheel Weights

1978 John Deere 316
Johnson 12 FEL
Rear Ag tire/V61 front tires, Rear Weight Bracket w 6 suitcase weight & wheel weights
(ongoing project, http://www.mytractorforum.com/12-joh...ct-begins.html

1970 John Deere 140 H3 (future project)

Gone, but missed
2003 John Deere GT235

1983 John Deere 420
donbowman14 is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 12:10 AM
1K poster
 
donbowman14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 1,300
Re: 430 Garden tractor

I also might add it may be a bit difficult to mash the traction lock when using the jerry-rigged "go" pedal since they are on the same side..

Keepers
2001 John Deere 445
Cat 0/1 3pt. hitch
60" Mower Deck
42" Hydraulic Tiller
48" NorTrac Box Scraper
40 Gallon 3pt. Sprayer
10p Dump Cart

1987 John Deere 430
Cat 0/1 3pt. hitch
60" Mower Deck
R4 Rear tire/turf up front
Cast Iron Wheel Weights

1978 John Deere 316
Johnson 12 FEL
Rear Ag tire/V61 front tires, Rear Weight Bracket w 6 suitcase weight & wheel weights
(ongoing project, http://www.mytractorforum.com/12-joh...ct-begins.html

1970 John Deere 140 H3 (future project)

Gone, but missed
2003 John Deere GT235

1983 John Deere 420
donbowman14 is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 03:00 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 212
Re: 430 Garden tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbowman14 View Post
I also might add it may be a bit difficult to mash the traction lock when using the jerry-rigged "go" pedal since they are on the same side..
I wondered how you could engage the diff lock and the rocker pedal at the same time, too. I guess one could use a solenoid and momentary trigger button to engage the diff lock linkage. I have a similar home brew rocker pedal on my 332. I wouldn't go back to hand control for anything. Makes loader work possible.

'92 332
With 455 spring seat suspension
Left-sided brake swap with right-sided foot control
3PH, rear PTO
Kwikway loader, earthcavator, 42" hydro tiller, 50" belly mower, 50" rear grooming mower, 48" Haban 402d sickle, and 54" 4 way plow.
Kris OK is online now  
post #13 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7
Re: 430 Garden tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbowman14 View Post
Well, I did see this one on CL because it was in the FL-GA area and initially thought $2000 was a great price until I started reading the issues. I give the guy an A for being upfront, but I wouldn't touch it and was happy to get mine for $2000 just two weeks ago and it ran. Mine has minor cosmetics issues, but is otherwise mechanically sound. Although this one has fewer hours, you'd be walking into someone else's nightmare....or at least potentially. I'd still say it's worth over a $1000, just not to me. And I bet parted out correctly, you could exceed $2000, those 2-speed trannies are pricey and the sellers normally charge extra for the linkage parts.
This one is on Craigslist and I'm in GA. I was originally asking $2000 and my post was pretty long so it may have been this one. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
arjdrn is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 09:20 AM
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 251
Re: 430 Garden tractor

500 bucks to my door for the engine with everything bolted to it and the radiator. 200 more on the same pallet for the hydro without the linkage. That's what I'd offer. A parts machine is about all i could see doing with it, but that's just me.

Thanks~

KansasFarmer

https://www.facebook.com/Tristatethreshershow/ President and Boiler Inspector.

1951 John Deere Model R: Factory optional cab included.
1916 Case 50Hp Steam engine (cheif engineer, but don't actually own...might as well be mine though..) 1930 something 1.5 hp Type E Deere engine
1948 8n Ford
1980 something Deere 165 hydro, factory engine 38" deck
1995 Deere 345, 18hp 54" deck,
1984 Deere 430
SOLD:
1979 Deere 400, 23 hp K582 with blade and deck.
KansasFarmer is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
MTF Junior Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7
Re: 430 Garden tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFarmer View Post
500 bucks to my door for the engine with everything bolted to it and the radiator. 200 more on the same pallet for the hydro without the linkage. That's what I'd offer. A parts machine is about all i could see doing with it, but that's just me.
Good thing I don't deliver!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
arjdrn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome