After the front axle was mounted I was having second thoughts on if it would be strong enough once the front end loader was on.
This axle was designed to be supported out on the spring mounts, not from a center pin.
The steel block I welded on top of the axle will keep the hole from going egg shape at the top but doesn't add a lot of strength to the axle itself.
Plus it has been cut and re-welded in the center and it has a 1-1/16 diameter hole thru the center.
Instead of taking a chance on it braking, I decided to beef it up now so I know I don't have to worry about it later.
I'm going to weld a steel bar along the bottom to spread out the force that is applied to the axle by the pivot pin.
I'm making the axle brace out of 1-1/2 inch diameter solid steel bar.
I cut the piece to the length I need and bent it in the hydraulic press.
Then I put it on the mill and machined a flat area on each end.
This is the axle and brace clamped together and ready to weld.
You can see how the milled flat area fits nicley against the bottom of the axle.
The finished axle re-mounted on the tractor.
I also have the ti-rod mounted.
Here's how she looks back on its wheels.
1945 John Deere Lindeman crawler ( modified )
1949 Agricat crawler
1947 FMC Bean Cutler ( flat belt drive )
( 3 ) 1948 Bolens Ridemasters type #35AA01
1953 Bolens Ridemaster 35AB03 ( modified )
1937 Shaw Du-All tractor conversion
1939 Viking / Standard Twin
1962 Panzer model T70
"R/T" home made tractor