What is this part called? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Car Talk Auto shop and car discussions

Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-18-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
5000 Strong & Climbing
ggsteve's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Central MA on the NH border
Posts: 7,573
What is this part called?

I took the hard top off of the BMW Z3 this morning. When we went to raise the power top it raised for a couple seconds, I heard a "pop", and the top dropped back into the boot. After a little investigation I found that the linear actuator was no longer connected to the frame of the top, and the connector between the two is no where to be found. I don't know if this part is something I could find at an auto parts store or if I need to go to (gasp!) BMW. Here is the connector end of the linear actuator. It looks like the same fastener used on a lot of trunk lid shocks:

Here are two views of the attachment point on the convertible top frame. It looks like the hole is threaded.

The fitting, whatever it is called, must have unscrewed itself over the years and finally popped out today. I think the very outer threads stripped, but the majority of the threads in the hole look good. Does anyone know if this is a standard connector, or am I calling (gasp!) BMW?

EDIT: By the way, this is Murphy's Law in full force. I made the very last payment on this car Friday!

68 JD 112H 47 deck 43 blade
69 JD 110H 37A blower 50 cart
71 JD 140H3 integral hitch 46" deck cozy cab
71 JD 140H1 80 Cart
72 JD 110 parts
78 JD 316K 49 blower
81 JD 317 Onan 54" 4-way blade weight box 46" deck
84 JD 214 39 deck 43 blade
86 JD 318 JB Sr. 3pt weight box
07 JD x748 48" deck 14 cuft powerflow bagger 47 snow thrower custom frame squeezer Click-n-Go 3ph OTC cab

74 Concord (MTD) 990
12 cu. ft. poly cart, JD front dethatcher, plug aerator, drop spreader, box blade, 10" bottom plow, sweeper
<a href=http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1742785&d=1469767994 target=_blank>http://www.mytractorforum.com/attach...5&d=1469767994</a>

Last edited by ggsteve; 03-18-2012 at 02:43 PM.
ggsteve is online now  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 Old 03-18-2012, 02:38 PM
The Magnificent
D-Dogg's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 20,952
Images: 2
Re: What is this part called?

Ball and socket joint?

You could take measurements and try McMaster-Carr, or just bite the bullet at BMW. I didn't think my BMWs were that expensive when it came to parts, but then again, I had to ask for them in German, so maybe it was cheaper over there.

D-Dogg is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Proud Member of the 1K Club
Canawler's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,012
Re: What is this part called?

Banks open in a few minutes. Time for your second mortgage.


It's only money, you make more every day.
'74 Agway/MTD 990
'93 Troy-bilt GTX18
'74 Allis Chalmers Homesteader 8 (X2)
?? Simplicity Broadmoor 717
?? Pennsylvania Meteor 1010
Canawler is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 03-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
Brett-JDX748's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Greensburg, PA, USA
Posts: 6,553
Images: 1
Re: What is this part called?


Here ya go!


Match up the dimensions you need and go to town!

X748 Ultimate,
Diesel, 4x4, 62C MMM, SE Seat, Quick Hitch,
54" Plow, 26Gal Sprayer, Soft Cab, 10P Cart.

That knockin, ain't a loose rod, Son!

Former Fleet:
2009 Craftsman GTS5000 Excellerator - Sold

2006 John Deere 3320, FEL, Backhoe, 62 MMM - Sold

2005 Cub Cadet 6284D FEL, Backhoe , 70" rear finish mower - Bought back, LEMON
Brett-JDX748 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 03-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Senior MTF Member
Tomadvanced's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cornwall, NY
Posts: 711
Re: What is this part called?

Go to realoem.com type in the last seven digits of your vin and you can look up the part #.

2011 X729, Heated Soft Side Cab, 47" Snow Blower, 54C Mower Deck, MC519 with Power Flow, 45 Loader, 26 Gallon Sprayer, JD 48" Aerator, Spyker 12v Spreader
Tomadvanced is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 03-25-2012, 10:12 AM
10,000 +posts!
glenn27's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 15,043
Images: 2
Re: What is this part called?

Originally Posted by Brett-JDX748 View Post

Here ya go!


Match up the dimensions you need and go to town!
Same exact type of ball/stud arrangement as on my Jeep lift gate, when I just replaced the actuators....New ones came with mine--so I belive it's a standard auto thing...belive it was a 15mm socket to install....


Sometimes you just have to laugh..To keep from going insane!!

Jimmy Buffett
glenn27 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 04-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Senior MTF Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 242
Re: What is this part called?

Must be a common issue as the last one I put a top on had one loose,was able to retap and install.
junkyardjeff is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome